Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

The two lights one each side of my garage door as well as an

The two lights one each side of my garage door as well as an uplight on a nearby pine tree are controlled by a hard wired light sensor. At night those three lights come on and remain on until morning. I have installed new Heath motion sensing lights on he sides of my garage door. I had not realized that they will only come on when motion is detected and that will not work in this neighborhood as all lights come on at dusk. Hopefully I can eliminate the motion system, if not I made an expensive mistake unless Lowes takes them back.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

I think we can solve this without too much trouble. Do you have one of the motion fixtures down right now?

Jason :

If not, can you take one down, and take a photo of the wiring compartment, with all wires shown in the photo? If you can post that photo here, I can walk you through a simple way to set the fixtures up to come on with your hardwired photocell.

Customer:

Here is a picture, the photo cell is at the bottom where my finger is pointing. I ignored the red wires as I did not want to set up a master slave configuration.

Jason :

Great. Just use the paper clip icon on the toolbar to post your photo.

Customer:

I have the picture on my desktop but I can't get it attached here. Is there an email addy I can send it to? I get a strange dialog box when I click the paperclip icon.

Jason :

You can post it to www.tinypic.com, and then post the link for viewing here for me.

Jason :

I can post screenshots showing how to use the paper clip uploader, if you like.

Customer:

Do that please, when I click the paperlip icon it askes me for a url of my picture and I have no idea how to find that. It's simply a picture on my desktop and I send these things all the time.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Jason :

What is the part number for the fixture?

Customer:

Model 4266 I'll keep looking for the part number

Jason :

Model number is XXXXX Please stand by while I look it up.

Customer:

I see a red wire that is tagged to not use except in custom installations but that wire is also linked to a black wire. I wonder if in disconnect that wire nut if that takes the sensor out of the series. Does this make sense?

Jason :

There is most likely a way to take the motion sensor out of the circuit, which is what I had in mind. But this fixture doesn't have the motion sensor as a seperate head. It appears to be built into the mounting plate. That's why I was searching for the manual.

Jason :

Do you have an Ohm meter? How many bulbs does the fixture take?

Customer:

I do have an ohm meter but it has been years since I used it (my Air Force days)- I think I have it connected-scale is RX100 but there are other options. I take one bulb

Jason :

OK, great. If you can find a white and black in the wiring compartment that will cause a beep on a meter's continuity setting when a good bulb is installed, but no beep when the bulb is removed, those are your socket wires, and they need to connect directly to the wiring coming from the photocell.

Jason :

The white wire you already had connected should be fine. But we need to find the black that goes from the wiring compartment directly to the bulb socket.

Jason :

It will require taking a factory splice apart.

Jason :

I need to step away for about half an hour or so. Can we reconnect after that?

Customer:

Okay, I'll work on this.

Jason :

Sounds good. I'll be back shortly. Need to move some furniture around the corner.

Jason :

Thanks for your patience.

Customer:

Okay, got it. The ohm meter was a good idea, I did not have complete circuit between the black and white. When I disconnected the shorter black wire from the red and checked that wire with the existing white I had a complete circuit. Trimmed the unneeded wires and installed on the wall. Put black tape on the hard wired photo cell and the lights came on, off when I removed the tape. All is good and thanks for your input. I will give you a good review.

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.