Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

I know this is kind of a off beat question but I hope someone

I know this is kind of a off beat question but I hope someone has the answer to this,
I have a fish finder on my boat that I pinched the cable on the power trim of my motor. Is there a way I can splice this wire and not lose a significant amount of signal. I tried solder and that didnt work well at all then I tried just twisting the wire and that works ok but Im not getting full signal and most of the features of the unit do not work or only work part of the time a new transducer costs about the same as the unit so if I cant fix this cable I will just toss it??
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

How many conductors does the cable contain?

Jason :

How many of the conductors were damaged?

Jason :

Can you tell what gauge they are?

Customer:

it has 3 conductors all three were cut

Customer:

I could measure the wires but they are very small one is woven like the outer cable wire for your tv

Jason :

I suspected at least one of them was a braided cable. When you said you were losing signal strength, that sounds like damaged braided wire.

Jason :

If I were trying to repair it for you, I would purchase the following items...

Jason :

Heat shrink tubing, butt splices, crimpers, and short lengths of comparable wire.

Jason :

Have you used crimp-on butt splices before?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

If you purchase 3 pieces of small gauge wire, about a foot long each, and 6 butt splices, you can splice in new pieces of wire for each conductor, and stagger the butt splices so that no two are right next to each other at either end. This will make it easier to use heat shrink tubing to encapsulate the entire repair when you are done.

Customer:

wouldnt a but splice double the number of connections

Jason :

If you want to stagger them, you would have a total of 6.

Jason :

I can make a quick sketch on MS Paint to illustrate what I have in mind, if you like.

Customer:

thats ok I think I get it Ill try it and get back to you

Jason :

Sounds good. Is there anything else I can do for you at this time?

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.