How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 467
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. Installing ceiling fan/light, has a transmitter to work

This answer was rated:

Hi. Installing ceiling fan/light, has a transmitter to work with a remote control (I don't have right kind of wiring for it to work from my wall switch).

Wasn't sure which was hot wire coming from ceiling to attach to the red and white wires from the transmitter on the fan.
Took a chance and got it right. Light went on. Went on to install fan blades. Turned unit on and no more light. Took apart and red and white wires had come undone. Must have hooked them up wrong second time because no power.

Re-connected them other way, but still no power. Is it possible that I burned out the motor or transmitter when I had the wires crossed and turned on the power?

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

Yes more than likely the receiver.

Sparky :

What colors do you have, and how did you connect them?

Customer:

receiver has red and white on one side and blue white and black on the other

Sparky :

You may have tripped the breaker. Do you have a voltage meter?

Customer:

don't have a breaker, old fashioned fuses so I changed them just in case

Sparky :

Do you have a voltage meter?

Customer:

i do have a voltage meter

Sparky :

have you checked the voltage at the ceiling, where you are connecting the fan?

Customer:

yes

Sparky :

Did you have the dip switches set to the same as the remote?

Customer:

yes

Sparky :

Does the fan have pull chains as well?

Customer:

no

Sparky :

The best thing I can advise you to do is replace the receiver. It may have burned out. Especially if the wire touched anything else inside of the canopy. A fan usually is not going to burn out very easy.

Customer:

i got the fan at home depot, do you think they carry the receivers separately?

Sparky :

If it's a built in receiver, you might as well exchange the whole thing.

Customer:

ok. cool. thanks

Sparky :

No problem. Please rate.

Rick and other Electrical Specialists are ready to help you
Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again. The bonus is greatly appreciated.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/

Related Electrical Questions