Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

hi, to start with my washer has a notification that there

Customer Question

hi, to start with my washer has a notification that there was a power loss. but no real indications throughout the house. I noticed when the washer was drawing power the lights would flicker. so I went to breaker box, above the main breaker there are big wires going in or out whichever is which. There is a sizzling noise and I seen the wire get hot and spark when I ran the washer and microwave. Nothing else seems to make it do this. air conditioner is still running. What is diagnosis? can you help?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

Hi. It sounds like you have a loose wire. Our a breaker that has started arcing on the buss bar.

JACUSTOMER-o2gfrs96- :

a loose wire? It is happening on at least 2 different circuits?

Sparky :

Where did you see it sparking?

JACUSTOMER-o2gfrs96- :

right above the main breaker. there are 2 sides it was on the left.

Sparky :

Is it where the wires go into your main breaker? Or did it look like the sparks were coming from behind the main breaker?

JACUSTOMER-o2gfrs96- :

about a quarter inch above the breaker. there is a "pigtail" of wires going in to breaker, maybe a metal plate or metal looking tape to secure it. right under that about a quarter inch above breaker

Sparky :

Could you take a picture and post it, so i can see exactly what you are talking about? If not the only thing it can be is a loose connection, or a breaker going bad. The fault is going to be exactly where you see the arc coming from.

JACUSTOMER-o2gfrs96- :

Trying to figure out how to send pix.

Sparky :

Did you take the pic and upload it to your computer?

JACUSTOMER-o2gfrs96- :

Actually took it on phone

Sparky :

You would have to upload it to your computer then use the paper clip icon

JACUSTOMER-o2gfrs96- :

Kicked me off on computer. Cant get back online with you

Sparky :

I'm here.

Sparky :

You can try to upload to tinypic.com and send me the link

Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi John, I got a message that you could not see my question. There is some technical issues. I hope you can see me question now.