AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

I was wondering if a house is completely rewired, new service,

I was wondering if a house is completely rewired, new service, remove all existing receptacles, switches and light fixtures, and all old wiring. Then installing new wire, devices, etc... no other work from any other trades. Just updating an old house. Bringing it up to today's standards. Carbon /Smoke detectors, GFI, ARC fault breakers.
Am I required to comply with California's title 24? It isn't a new home (75 years old), and it isn't a remodel.
What do I do?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 7 months ago.

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Based on the work performed on the residence and the requirements of Title 24, unfortunately you will need to comply to acquire a final inspection.

I would have thought The Electrical contractor who permitted and performed the work should have noted this in their quotation and work summary.
They will be getting the inspection from the Local Authority and their
responsibility to comply for approval.

This is based on the below, which is directly from the Title 24-2008 requirements.(2013 Title 24 does not come into play until Jan 2014)

Repairs
§101(b), §151(b)1B Note
Repairs to low-rise residential buildings are not within the scope of these Standards. A repair is the reconstruction or renewal of any part of an existing building for the purpose of its maintenance. In this case, "part of a building" means a component, system or equipment, for which there are requirements in the Standards. In simple terms, when such a component, system, or equipment of an existing building breaks or is malfunctioning, and a maintenance person fixes it so it works properly again, that is a repair. If instead of fixing the break or malfunction, the component, system or equipment is replaced with a new or different one - it is considered an alteration and not a repair

If you notice, all of your lighting fixtures fall under the "TERM" alteration since they were completely replaced and not repaired.
They are very explicit with their language, in component,system or equipment so as not to leave any loopholes.

Chapter 6 has most of the lighting requirements--CLICK HERE

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks Tommy, your answer is what I thought it would be. In regards XX X portion of your answer, I am the electrical contractor on the job. I just this year obtained my C-10 after 17 years. As a Journeyman (commercial /industrial) in the IBEW. The residential codes are still a learning process. I am trying to get all the info and applu it as necessary. I've found that some of the smaller,self incorporated cities (I live in Los Angeles) are more apt to enforce the things that seem questionable.

Don't get me wrong, I am all about doing the job correctly, safely, and by code. There are things like occupancy sensors, and TR receptacles. There are situations where neither of these devices do anyone any service that is positive. The sensors never work correctly. I actually, just today had one fail as I was installing it . A 3 way dimmer occupancy sensor shot a flame out of the back of the device as I was putting the screws into the mud ring. That isnt the first time this has happened. These were Lutron switches. I also have the one in the bathroom turn on everytime someone walks down the hallway. I still havent found a way to get the settings right. The devices should never be enforced until they function properly 99% of the time. They (manufacturers)get to rush them through production and somehow ($$) get UL approval.

Sorry, I dont mean to rant but, how can the state force people to comply with things that don't apply to every household, and or don't work properly?

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Dont get me going on the flourescent lighting scam. The sane guy that gave us the Prius hoax. These things leave a larger eci footprint in manufacturing abd disposa, than any incandescent lamp, or well maintained gasoline burning engine.

Its all about lining someones pockets. Not saving energy or our money.

Thanks for the Rating, it is appreciated.

I have to agree with you on those issues stated as well. It it apparent that even in the NEC guidelines, they tend to require before verifying availability.
That happened in AFCI combination breakers, that were not even available at the time and the manufacturers started producing after the fact.

California is probably the toughest state to try and understand on requirements with the issues that you have already come across with equipment.

It is about the dollar, no question.

Not sure where we are headed either, as I have not had a peek at the 2014 changes yet.

Take care
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks Again

You are welcome.