Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I had to replace a 3 speed switch in my ceiling fan because

Customer Question

I had to replace a 3 speed switch in my ceiling fan because the chain broke off inside the Switch. I have researched and deduced that the actual problem which probably caused the switch to be broken is that the Capacitor is Bad. Before replacing the switch the ceiling fan ran slowly and now that the new switch is in I hear a hum when I click through the stages but the blades don't turn. The issue I am having is that the Cap is a 2.5uf+7uf 3 wire AC220V capacitor and try as I might in over 3 hours of searching I cannot locate that type of capacitor.... so what can I replace it with?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Tommy Tesla replied 3 years ago.

Tommy Tesla :

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name isXXXXX am here to help you with all your electrical needs. If you go to you can get that exact one or something very close to those specifications.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The issue I am having is that I cannot locate on their site a suitable capacitor, I do not know enough about them to use their search function with the tolerance selections. and when I type 2.5uf+7uf Capacitor in the search box I get no results. In my previous searches I have been,,, and which is part of switchco. None have the identical rating as the existing part. If you can locate it on Mouser can you give me a link, part number or the exact name for the part? or if you cannot locate the exact part can you tell me what is a suitable and adequate replacement capacitor 3 wire replacement capacitor?

Can you post a picture of the capacitor here? I know you had said you do not know manufacturer or model. Perhaps a picture of the fan also.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One second - downloading them then I will upload them

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ceiling fan capacitor

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ceiling Fan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

some of the <a href=wiring inside housing"/>

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3 wire capacitor view

Hello Daniel,

I have contacted an electronics store and I am waiting for a reply. I will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay this has taken all my available time this morning and I have to leave now. I will check what you come up with when I get back.

I am going to opt out because I can not locate anything for you.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. See the link below for fan capacitors.

Capacitors - ceiling fans
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I said with the previous Expert, there is no 2.5uf+7uf AC220V W.V. Capacitors on this page just as there wasn't with any of the previous sites I had been too.

Even when I google the Information on the Capacitor it offers me either 7uf options of 2.5uf options and not the same Capacitor that is in the existing ceiling fan. I have decided to simply replace the fan.

Thank you for attempting to help