Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

hi can you help me

Customer Question

hi can you help me
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..can you tell me the problem you are having with your fan? Please be detailed, remember that you are my eyes and ears so the more info you can give me, the more likely I will be able to help you in return.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi can you help me I have a hunter ceiling fan that runs with a remote that was lost so we purchased a honeywell universal remote control to hook up to the ceiling fan

the colors of wires coming from the ceiling are red, white, black and cooper

the fan has pink, red, yellow, white, black/grey, grey and the remote receiver has 2 wires one is black and one is white and on the other side is 3 wires that are black, white and blue

what colors go to the ceiling fan

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Just so I understand, this 'remote' is a box with wires that connects to the fan itself? You then have a hand held remote that talks to it?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the brain to the remote connects to the fan itself and then the fan connects to the ceiling.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Does the fan have lights?

If so, on the wall do you have two switches: one for the fan and one for the lights?

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so your plan will be to leave both switches 'on' and control the fan and lights from the remote?

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes that is correct

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, here is what I can tell you so far.

The remote 'brain'. The two wires are your AC power. You can connect them to the black and the white wire in your ceiling box. We are not going to use the red in the box so you can wire nut it off and wrap some tape around it.

The three wires coming from the brain are: Black - fan motor, Blue - fan lights, White - fan neutral.

We need to figure out what the pink, red, yellow, white, black/gray and gray wires are - these are the ones coming from the fan.

Give me five minutes and I will have that for you.

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok and one the other side of the brain for the remote is a blue wire, white and black wire and on the other side is just 2 wires a black one and a white one so the remote brain has 5 wires and the fan has the other pink, red, yellow, white, black/gray and gray wires and then the wires from the ceiling red, black , white and bare

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I taped off the red wire and I got the two AC wires connected to the ceiling wires
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
I don't think you can make this work - at least, I don't think you will be able to control the speed of the fan.

The yellow, pink, red, gray etc wires are all separate speeds that the previous remote brain could control.

Let me have the model number of that Honeywell remote please.

Thanks
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

#40011 is the model # XXXXX honeywell

it says it will work on all brands of ceiling fans

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Correct - all types of ceiling fans that don't already have remote controls.

The Honeywell is designed for a simple three wire fan/light, not one that already has a remote with multiple speeds controlled by that wiring.

Last resort - do you know the model number of the fan?

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes we got the lights to the fan working with the remote
the model to the fan is 21621
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I do believe the model number of the fan is 21871a-420

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Good morning. Unfortunately, I do not know all of the wire colors for that fan.

The Honeywell remote that you purchased is not designed to be retrofit into a fan with an existing remote unit. If you were to get it to work, it would be a one speed one direction fan, you would not be able to reverse it or change the speed. Regardless, it is designed for a fan with a light with three wires - black white and blue.

If you lost the remote for the fan, then you should have purchased a replacement. It is Hunter part number 85094-02. >>>CLICK HERE<<< for a company that will sell you one.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards
Steve