Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

Knob and Tube Ceiling fan. Replaced a previous installed fan.

Customer Question

Knob and Tube Ceiling fan. Replaced a previous installed fan. Matched up the black and white the same as the previous fan. Fan works fine, the light comes on bright at first, then dims down to almost nothing....
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Can you tell me the colors of the wires coming out of the top of the fan, and how you connected them to the ceiling wires, relative to color combinations?

Customer:

Coming from the Ceiling, there was a BLACK and LIGHT BROWNISH TINTED. The old fan had Black and Blue to Black and White to the Brownish. The new fan has a remote module since there are no pull string on it. The module hooks to the house Black to Black and White to Brownish. And from the Module to the Fan, BLue to Blue, black to black, white to white.

Jason :

OK, very good explanation. I would like to try bypassing the remote receiver (module), to see if the light functions normally. Can I walk you through how to do that?

Jason :

By the way, what is the brand of your fan?

Customer:

The Fan is a Yosemite Spectrum 42.

Customer:

Sure.....lets do it...

Jason :

Great. Please disconnect all wires coming out of the module. Should be one set of black and white, and another set with black, white, and blue. Is this correct?

Customer:

Should I kill the power first?? Or just drop the switch to off. Would hate to fry my hand off on a Tuesday... Would totally ruin my week...

Jason :

I agree, that would be bad. If you have a wall switch, turn it off. If I'm going to fry my hand off, I'd rather do it closer to the weekend, to make the weekend longer, LOL.

Customer:

LOL.. Agreed! Ok, the switch is off. Disconnecting the wires from the module as we speak.

Jason :

If there is no wall switch, we should find the correct breaker and turn the power off there. One thing to keep in mind with knob and tube wiring and wall switches... sometimes they run the neutral wire through the wall switch, which can really throw off a modern day troubleshooter. Do you have any type of electrical tester you can use to verify the power is off?

Customer:

Yes..I have the AC Voltage Detecter Pen....

Jason :

OK, once you determine there is no power on the ceiling wires, please proceed as follows...

Customer:

There is a switch....But its off...I did notice that when I disconnected the Module, the plug in spot light Im using turned a little brighter....

Jason :

Connect blue and black wires coming from top of fan to the ceiling black. Connect white fan wire to tan ceiling wire. Restore power at the wall switch.

Customer:

The FAN definatly hooks to the switch because it turns te fan on and off when its on..

Customer:

ok..hold

Jason :

I would check the wires in the outlet your light is plugged in to. There may be a loose wire in that box.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

flipping the switch

Customer:

let us pray

Customer:

there is no control on this fan

Customer:

so not sure what to expect

Customer:

ok

Customer:

the fan is on high and the light seems to be working perfectly

Customer:

good call

Customer:

let me test on NON LED Bulb

Jason :

Sounds like the remote receiver is bad. We see that frequently. Even on new fans sometimes.

Customer:

yeah,,,wow

Customer:

that sucks

Customer:

is it possible

Customer:

my connection sucks!

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sorry...Is it possible My connection to the module was done poorly?

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
That is a possibility. Check the splicing on the blue from the fan to the blue from the module. If not there, then at the lower end of the fan, at the light kit.

I do appreciate the excellent rating, and will be happy to follow up with you as much as you need.