electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise

my junction box ( which is connected to a single pole ceiling

Customer Question

my junction box ( which is connected to a single pole ceiling fan without a light ) has one black, one red and one white wire coming from the ceiling fan ... but my new ceiling fan switch has one black, one red, one blue (for a light) and one green for a ground wire ... how do i connect the seiling fan switch to the junction box?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 3 years ago.

electrifier :

Black is normally for the fan and red is normally for the light. Does your fan have a white wire? What kind of fan is it?

JACUSTOMER-jhkmyfuz- :

yes, there is a whitewire coming from the fan, but it is connected aready to the three other white wires controling other switches which are also in the junction box.

electrifier :

Normally you connect the black fan wire to the black box wire and the blue fan wire to the red box wire. What do the fan instructions say the red fan wire is for?