Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a single pole switch that feeds a gfci outlet that goes

I have a single pole switch that feeds a gfci outlet that goes to a light fixture when I turn the single pole switch on. If the switch is off gfci is not on. My question is how can i put a dimmer switch in to control the light. It is in the bathroom.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. It would be necessary to install a 3 wire cable from the switch to the GFCI or a 2 wire cable from the switch to the light.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is a 3 wire going from the switch to the gcfi and a 2 wire cable going from the gfci to the light. does that mean I can replace the single pole with the dimmer switch?

Yes you can. The GFCI needs to have the wires reconfigured if it and the light both operate from the switch. The black feed and red on the dimmer. The black to the GFCI and the white on the line connections. The red connects to the black to the light and the white to the light is on the line side of the GFCI.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would you be able to diagram that for me. thanks

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your expert advise

You're welcome.