Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

Will the code allow connection of space heaters in condo individual

Will the code allow connection of space heaters in condo individual unit water closets from a common "house" panel. There are 16 units in our building presently supplied from the individual residence panels. If someone turns off the breaker to their closet heater or if a unit is vacant with no power the water lines sometimes freeze and break causing everyone a big problem. name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) The National Electrical Code has nothing to do with connecting space heaters into a commonly shared house panel. The only NEC requirements that need to be adhered to is the proper sizing of the dedicated circuit, no receptacles located above the heater, control functionality of the heater such as a thermostat or timer.

2) You will need to obtain permission from the condo association since the common electrical panel is also shared by the other units within the condo. The condo association may or may not allow this. Recommend to bring this up at your next condo association board meeting and explain that this would be beneficial to all existing owners. With the addition of a space heater in a common area, this really boils down as to how the initial installation expense and the additional monthly recurring electrical expense will be shared by all of the units since the dedicated circuit will be originating from a common electrical panel and not an individual unit's electrical panel. Requests such as this that are common to all unit's are generally taken by a vote of the condo association members.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

Tom............Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening.............Thanks...............Kevin!