electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

I have a dual pole 30 amp breaker going to a sauna outside.

Customer Question

I have a dual pole 30 amp breaker going to a sauna outside. I want to take that line extend it into a small outbuilding with no power to convert it to a workshop. The best way I can think of doing this is to extend the line to a small sub-panel then taking standard 110 20 amp lines of the sub panel. Does this seem like the best way to go about that?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 1 year ago.

electrifier :

What do you intend to do with the Sauna? Is this a 4 wire feeder to the sauna?

Customer :

i have a shut off switch installed already so either power will go to the sauna or the workshop as i need it.

Customer :

it's fed by 2 lines i'm assuming 110v 30 amp each

Customer :

each lines has 3 wires the wires are 10 gauge

electrifier :

How many breakers are in the panel that feeds the sauna?

electrifier :

Is it a single breaker dual pole? Are there 2 NM cables, romex, that feed this panel from the main panel? Does the black wire from each cable connect to the 30 amp breaker, one to each pole?

Customer :

so the line goes like this. Main breaker in house->sub panel in house -> to sauna/switch-> possibly to workshop panel

Customer :

the breaker is like this one

electrifier :

Do I understand correctly that you have 2 cables each one 10/2 with ground that feed the sub panel near the sauna?

Customer :

the 10/2 goes from the house sub panel to the sauna currently. I want to take the 10/2 extend it and have it go into a shed i'm converting into a workshop.

Customer :

in order to distribute the power better i thought it would be best to put in a small panel in the workshop and have the workshop power come off the panel so i can have 15/20 amp circuits

electrifier :

So the suana is 240 volts, not 120/240. You have a black, a white and a ground, that's all.

Customer :

not 30 amp

Customer :

yes correct

electrifier :

You have no neutral and therefore no 120 volts available. You need a 10/3 with ground to give you both 120 and 240 volts. It MUST be 4 wire. The code requires this.

electrifier :

Do you have room for another 2 pole breaker in the main panel?

Customer :

yes

electrifier :

I suggest running a new 4 conductor feeder from the main panel to the workshop and you will have both 120 and 240 volts available. If you want only 120 volts then either a 3 or 4 conductor feeder would work. With a 3 conductor feeder you would feed both poles of the main breaker with the same 120 volt line.

Customer :

ok i see. let me go verify everything real quick to make sure i don't have any other questions.

electrifier :

Your outbuilding will be treated just like a service on a house, main breaker and ground rods are both required. The amperage of the breaker is not important, it is a service disconnect and could be 100 amps while fed by a 30 amp feeder. Square D panels are available with 20 spaces and a main breaker for just over $50 here at Home Depot or Menards. A smaller panel could be used as well with an installed main breaker backfed with a retaining device for the main breaker. It all depends on what you want for circuits in the workshop.

electrifier :

You can always come back here and ask more questions even after we finish here for now. I will always be willing to help you.