Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have a memorex pureplay portable speaker. It requires Output

I have a memorex pureplay portable speaker. It requires Output DC 5.9 adapter, input 100-240V, 50-60Hz. Can I use Output 9.0V - - -1.0A, input 100-120V, 50-60 Hz. 0.4A?

I runs the speakers, but I don't want to burn it out. Please advise, thanks.

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) On any electronics equipment, it is always recommended to only use the adapter that came with the device and not use a different adapter.

2) Using an adapter that has a higher voltage (9 VDC) than the manufacturer required (5.9 VDC) voltage input can make the internal components run hotter than normal which may result in shortening the life of the electronics, therefore shortening the life of the device.

If the device has any electronic IC's (integrated chips), these run on a 5 VDC input and not on a 9 VDC input. Electronic components are all sensitive to over voltages, especially IC's.

3) The 4 main key points in any electronics DC power adapter are:

A) Plug type

B) Plug polarity

C) Current rating

D) Voltage rating

4) Even if the adapter plug properly fits into the device, this does not mean that the electronic device will run properly. The other 3 key points shown above must also be adhered too.

5) In the event that you require a replacement adapter, suggest contacting the manufacturer and perhaps they can sell you one or at least provide you with a 3rd party vendor that was the original adapter manufacturer. Other possible sources are your local Radio Shack or Fry's Electronics. If purchasing a replacement adapter at another source, keep in mind that the plug polarity, plug end size, voltage and current requirements must be the same as the original part.

6) Think of the higher voltage DC adapter the same way as using a standard 120 volt television set. If a TV is wired to a 240 volt circuit instead of a 120 volt circuit, the TV will be fried due to an over-voltage.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Hello Eileen...........Thank you for the excellent service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a safe Labor Day holiday................Thanks............Kevin!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, same to you.
Thanks Eileen