Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have a pond and my waterfall/filter pump has started tripping

I have a pond and my waterfall/filter pump has started tripping my 20 amp gfci plug. I replaced the plug with a 20 amp non-gfci and added a 20 amp gfci circuit breaker on the panel in my house. I thought dampness around the pond might be causing it. The pump (5.9-10.4 amps) is on a 12-2 wire about 100 feet from the panel. The pump runs 24/7 so there are no startup surges. My first pump ran for years and this replacement (same type) ran for 4 months without any problems. Any ideas?
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Is there an in use cover on the outlet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. It's a weather proof box and a plastic cover that closes over the plugs.

OK, easy to locate the problem. Plug something else into the outlet with the pump disconnected, to see if the circuit holds. If it does, the pump has a failure. If it doesn't the circuit does.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that. but I plugged the pump into a plug in my house to test it and it ran fine. If it's the circuit will I need to redo the line to the pump and the plug? Or is it possible that it will dry out on it's own?

If you had a GFCI at the receptacle and that is what tripped the problem is at the outlet or the pump. A GFCI breaker in the house would make it necessary to troubleshoot further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Thanks

You're welcome. Let me know if you need further assistance.