Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I am wiring a hot tub, 4 wire system. I have the outdoor box

I am wiring a hot tub, 4 wire system. I have the outdoor box with a 50 AMP GFCI wired properly. I have a 50 AMP GFCI breaker for my panel as well...can I use this, or should I get a standard breaker for the panel?

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

There is no Code against using 2 levels of GFI protection on one circuit, even though it's really not necessary.

Jason :

If both breakers hold, and you don't get nuisance tripping from either one, I see no reason not to use it.

Jason :

However, you very well could experience tripping issues with GFI protection on both breakers.

Jason :

The good thing about this is that standard double pole breakers aren't very expensive.

Customer:

OK. So to install the GFCI at the source panel, I would use the same wiring as the GFCI in the sub-panel? i.e. red, black, and white to breaker, ground wire to ground bar, and white coiled wire from breaker to neutral bar?

Jason :

Yes, that's a good explanation.

Customer:

OK...thanks!

Jason :

You are most welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

one more clarification....the white coiled wire from the breaker must go to the 'neutral' not the 'ground' bar, correct?

Jason :

Yes, that's correct.

Customer:

great...thank you!

Jason :

My pleasure. Have a great day!