Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.

how do I wire a ceiling fan to 2 wire sets coming from attic

how do I wire a ceiling fan to 2 wire sets coming from attic & a separate wire set going to the wall switch?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X here to help you.

So In the fan box you have 1 2 wire ( black, white ground ) constant feed and 1 2 wire going down to the switch.

Correct?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes sir that's correct. In the ceiling fan box I've tried wiring all black wires together, to include the blue wire from the ceiling fan, all white wires together, & all ground wires together. Issue is- when the wall switch is on everything works great. As soon as the wall switch is turned off it pops the circuit breaker & all power to that room is lost. It will only allow me to reset the breaker when the wall switch is turned back on.

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
In the fan box splice as follow;

Splice white of constant power wire and white of fan together. Splice white going to the switch and black of constant power together. splice black going to the switch, black and blue of the fan together. Splice all grounds together.

Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok, just spliced wires as you suggested (triple checked all connections) & everything works except for ceiling fan.

This is what I currently have:

Junction box in attic with circuit breaker wire set, a wire set coming from light in attic, & an added wire set to get power to ceiling fan box. All black wires (including 1 red wire) are wired together, all white wires are together, & all ground wires are together. Ceiling fan box is wired as you previously suggested. Please advise.

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
So neither light nor fan works?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

neither one is currently working

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
Do you have volt meter with two probes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes sir

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
Can you check if you have 120v between white and black wires on the constant wire in the fan box?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok just checked, yes I have 120v between white & black on the constant wire in the fan box

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
Hmmm. Then it's really strange. Did you pull chains on the fan?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Lol! Yes I did! Both of them. :)

I'm just a bit perplexed as to why the circuit breaker keeps popping when the switch is turned off - when all black wires + blue wire are wired together, all white wires & all ground wires are wired together respectively..I thought for sure that would work, but no... weird thing is it will only allow me to reset when switch is turned back on...

should I just maybe take the added wire out?

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Which added wire do you mean?

How many and what color wires are in the fan box.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The added wire coming from junction box to give power to ceiling fan box...

The junction box was added to limit the amount of wires in ceiling fan box..

I was just thinking though, what would happen if I wired the white (constant power) to black & blue fan wires?

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
Lets eliminate the switch for one second and check if the fan is working. To do so, shut the breaker off. Splice black and blue of fan together with black of constant. Splice white of fan together with white of constant. Turn the breaker on and tell me if the fan is working with pull chains.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yep, fan & light both work wired that way...

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
Now lets try again. Splice white from fan together with white of constant power. Splice white of wire going to the switch together with black of constant power. Splice black and blue of fan together with black of wire going to the switch. Let me know if the fan/light still does not work.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

just disconnected all wires in fan box & wired as you've suggested ...still doesn't work

in fan box are 3 wire sets- one set constant from junction box (black, white, ground)... verified with meter; one set from switch (black, white, ground); & one set from fan (black, blue, white, ground)...

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
How many and what color wires are in the switch box?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm now wondering if I should isolate the red wire (coming from the circuit breaker wire set) in the junction box... isn't that like having multiple circuits wired together, with the red wire wired together with all of the black wires? I'm thinking perhaps too much power in that junction box & that's what's popping the circuit when I turn off the switch... what are your thoughts on this?

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
We will get to the red wire later. You have 120v coming to the fan box. That's what is important. Now the wire going to the switch. Is that wire going straight from fan box to the switch box? And also please answer on my previous question, how many and what color wires are in the switch box?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

switch wire goes directly to fan box... 1 white wire, 1 black wire, 1 ground wire... switch wire controlled previous single light fixture with no problems

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
Lets see if its bad switch. Shut the breaker off. Disconnect the wires from switch. Splice black and white wires together. Turn the breaker on and tell me if pull chains will work.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yep, pull chains both work...

Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
That means its bad switch. You have replacement?
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience: Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.