Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

I just installed a sub panel in my shop. Im using 6/2 uf

I just installed a sub panel in my shop. I'm using 6/2 uf ran about 80 feet under ground from my house. I have a 60 amp breaker feeding the sub panel. On my multimeter i'm showing 254 to 258 on the 60 amp breaker. Sub panel is pretty much the same reading. Problem is that the breakers in the sub panel are only reading 1 to 3. No power to run anything. Power coming in but no power to anything else. Any ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Are you able to post a photo of the inside of the panel?

Jason :

Just to clarify, do you have power across the two hots that are feeding the sub panel, but no power from any of the branch breakers in the sub?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

I have power at sub panel. I have very little power at the branch breakers.

Jason :

OK. I need to make some notes on your photo, and repost it. Can you stand by?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

Great. Thanks for your patience. I'll post again ASAP.

Customer:

I went and retested the power at the sub panel. Got power. Pulled breakers and re-installed to insure a good connection. It's almost like the breakers are not getting any power. I'm headed to lowe's to purchase a new and different panel. Be back shortly

Jason :

OK, sounds good. I do see some other issues with the installation, relative to Code requirements.

Customer:

Ok I'm still at this. I changed out the double pole breaker with single pole. In my sub panel I wired the black to hot and the white to neutral bus bar. Installed a ground bus bar and also ran a new ground wire to a grounding rod. I used my multimeter to check the power. I have 120 to 129 at the lug and at the breaker. But I'm only getting .01 at the outlet. I'm using 14-2 for the wiring to the outlets. Totally confused. I've done this before with no problems.

Jason :

When you put the new panel in, did it come with a main breaker? How are you feeding power into the sub now? If you can post a new photo, that would be great.

Customer:

I didn't put a new panel in yet. It's the same as before. The only difference is that I'm not using the white has a hot wire. What I realized is that I wasn't making the circuit complete. I have power at the sub panel but nothing is traveling through the breaker.

Full Size Image

Jason :

Are you not getting power out of ANY of the breakers?

Jason :

Since the buss bar on the right doesn't have a wire connected to it, it shouldn't have any breakers in contact with it. But all of the buss that is common to the lug on the left should be putting out power.

Customer:

Yes. no power out of the breakers, checked with a multimeter and all three are hot and showing 124.

Jason :

Was that a reading from the breaker's terminal screw to the ground or neutral buss bar?

Jason :

What is connected at each end of the opposite ends of the branch circuit wiring?

Jason :

When you try to put a load on any of the breakers, have you had your meter on the main lug to see if the voltage drops there?

Customer:

I had my red line touch the box and the black on the screw of the breaker or the lug.

Jason :

Does any portion of the feed to the sub panel travel underground?

Customer:

Yes about 80 feet. When I flip the breaker on I don't see a voltage drop.

Customer:

I have the same voltage at the main breaker and the sub panel.

Jason :

If all connections are tight at both ends, and you are not getting power when a load is applied, this sounds like an issue with the wire itself. That's pretty common with underground wire that has been in the ground for any length of time. How long has it been buried? Are you not able to find a place with your meter where you can see the voltage drop out when a load is applied to the system?

Customer:

I just bought the wire a few weeks ago from Dealers electric supply. I have no place to test the load.

Jason :

What do you have connected to the branch wiring coming out of the sub? Is it just outlets?

Jason :

What loads are you trying to power from the sub?

Customer:

4 Outlets and 2 shop lights.

Jason :

OK, let's review just a little. With the 3 breakers in the ON position, and one meter probe on a breaker terminal, and the other meter probe on the neutral bar, what reading do you get? I would check for power at all 3 breakers this way. Also, the lowest breaker appears to be snapped onto the right hand buss bar, which doesn't have a wire connected to it. I just noticed that when looking at your photo again.

Jason :

I wold move that breaker so it's in contact with the left hand buss bar.

Jason :

You could also put a jumper wire in, from the left main lug to the right one. That would make both buss bars hot.

Jason :

This would give you more breaker spaces, but would also increase the chances of overloading the breaker that is feeding the sub panel.

Customer:

By checking the power using the neutral to hot I get nothing. I'm also not showing any power at the main breaker. I know this box has power because my AC's breaker is in this box and the AC is running.

Jason :

Which one of the breakers is powering the AC? This is a breaker in the sub panel you are talking about, correct? I apologize for the confusion, but I don't see a main breaker in the sub panel. That leads me to wonder if you are talking about the main panel. Are you able to measure power on the wires between the two panels, at either end?

Customer:

Ok. My main breaker is in the garage. There is another sub panel on the outside of the house right below the meter. The outside AC is connected to this box with a double pole 40 breaker. I went of this sub panel to the shop.

Customer:

I rechecked the connection at this point and testing from the neutral to the screw on the breaker I got nothing. So from this point it looks like I'm getting no power to shop.

Jason :

Can you post a photo of the inside of the panel that feeds the sub in the shop?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Jason :

Other than the neutral wire that goes out to the shop, I don't see a neutral wire in that panel.

Jason :

It appears you need to get a main neutral into the panel that is mounted to the brick wall.

Customer:

I was wondering that myself. But didn't put much thought into it because of the ac was getting power. So your saying that a main neutral needs to be run from the main breaker box?

Jason :

Yes, a main neutral to the neutral bar. It should be sized to the breaker feeding the mains. So that means it needs to be the same size as the hots that feed the panel that it will be routed into and connected to.

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks, The last post was the problem. I had to get an electrician to do the connection. He went from the meter to the box below.

Thanks,