Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Hello, Im running electricity from my house to a detached

Hello, I'm running electricity from my house to a detached garage about 100' away. I will be using two (2) 1000 watt, HID grow lights which draw about 9amps each on a 120v and about 5amps on 240v. These lights will be running for 18 hours/day. I will also be running a small portable air conditioner, which will draw about 5amps on a 115v. I will also be running a couple of small fans, a light timer, and perhaps small other small items occasionally. The main breaker panel on my house is a 200amp cutler hammer. I've already dug an 18" trench

Questions:

Could I use 2-2-2-4 aluminum quadruplex wire, ran through 1 1/4" PVC conduit from the main breaker to the garage breaker panel or do I have to use copper wire?

If I have to use copper wire, can you tell me exactly the size and colors to get? I'm guessing there's 4 wires that need to be run through the conduit?

If I use the 2-2-2-4 aluminum quadruplex - does this get grounded at the garage through a grounding pole?

Would a 60amp breaker panel suffice on the garage or should I go 100amp? If I go 100amp, then it seems like I won't be able to use the 2-2-2-4 aluminum, because that's only rated for 90amp, correct?

I had one person tell me to use 240v 40amp circuits for the grow lights - they said this would save me a lot on electricity. Is this true? I mean how much? I'm not really concerned with electricity costs because I'm going to go solar in about 4 months. Can the 240v still work with the 60 or 100amp breaker panel? Does it change the type of wiring I would need to get?

Any other tips?

Thanks much!
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Everthing you stated is correct and a 60A would be fine for the panel and the breaker in the main panel. Aluminum wire is less expensive and wll be serviceable. The costof operation doesn't change with the voltage. The loads whether 120 or 240 will cost the same, it's the wattage that the cost is determined by..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike, so just to confirm:

I can run 2-2-2-4 aluminum quadruplex through 1 1/4" PVC, hook it up to a 60amp breaker, and ground it at the garage location? This set up is sound?

You did your homework. The plan is correct. I would suggest using 1 1/2" or 2 " PVC, easier to pull.