Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience
29848548

Fuse blows when turning light switch to off

Fuse blows when turning light switch to off after changed from dimmer switch to regular light switch and changing light fixture. I capped off red in light switch and light fixture. I connected all black to black wires and all white to white. I don't see a ground wire. There are 4 outlets involved that did not work when red wire was connected to light fixture and switch in place of black and black wires were capped off. Outlets work with red wire capped yet fuse blows when light switch turned to off.

The new light switch has 2 gold screws on one side and 1 green on the other.

The outlets have only black and white wires.

Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. How many switches control the light?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

one

Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
OK, to get a complete picture of the issue, I need to know the count and color of the wires in both the switch box and the fixture box.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Switch box has 2 black, 2 white, 1 red.

Fixture has 2 black, 2 white, 1 red

Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
graphic
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No. The red wire does not leave the fixture. It was connecteted to thblack wire on the fixture itself. That's when the switch and 2 outlets on the same wall worked, yet the outlets on the other 3 walls didn't work. The work now with red wire capped off yet now the fuse blows when I flip the switch off to the fixture.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
the sketch shows that the red and white connect to the fixture. Please look at the switch again and tell me how many screws and their colors.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did have the red and white hooked to the standard switch that has 2 copper or gold screws on only 1 side with 1 green ground on the other. I originally had all the black capped off as mentioned earlier.

I had removed the original dimmer switch and went to the standard switch and changed the fixture with a newer one. This is when the outlets stopped working.

I am going to just place a switch that has a black screw and 2 screws for the traveler wires. I will connect the black hot wire to the black screw and the red and white to the other 2 screws. It appears the black wires must be used in order to keep power to the outlets.

I was just wondering if I could connect the red wire in the fixture to the black wires. There is also 3 black wires and 3 white wires and only 1 red wire in the fixture instead of 2-2-1 as mentioned earlier

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

or should the white wire and red wire be taped together in the fixture since they are the traveler wires?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
uLook at the sketch again. It shows the connection needed. There should not be a white wire on the switch. It has a pigtail from the blacks on one screw and the red on the other,. The ground on the green screw. At the fixture red to the fixture black and all the whites together.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
There are no travelers, you only have one switch and would new more wires. Just follow my directions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It worked. Thank you. You helped me a ton and saved me money.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
Glad to help. You're welcome.