Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

Replacing an Intermatic e1120 timer with a Defiant brand digital

Replacing an Intermatic e1120 timer with a Defiant brand digital countdown timer. What is the correct wiring diagram for the new timer?

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

Could you give me the model number please?

Customer:

Defiant, cat #460974.

Sparky :

Give me a couple of minutes while I look it up please.

Customer:

ok

Sparky :

I'm not seeing anything on it. Is there a actual model number on it. Or can you tell me how many wires you have coming from the timer and what colors they are.

Customer:

The only other numbers are GE5340-71L3, and E83106. It only has black(hot), red(load) and green.

Sparky :

Then the wiring is simple. Black goes to your hot wire or wires and the red goes to the wire that goes to the light usually black or red.

Sparky :

Do you know which is your hot wire that is connected to your switch now?

Customer:

It has a 3-wire connection; black, red, and white, no ground

Sparky :

The existing one, right? Is the white wire connected to other white wires?

Customer:

yes.

Sparky :

Here is what you will do. Connect the black wire from your new timer to the black wire that is connected to your old timer. Connect the red wire to the wire that is connected to the red wire, and just cap off the white wire. You will not be using this wire with the new timer. Some require a neutral, and since your new switch doesn't have a white, then it doesn't need it. Please rate, and let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you

Customer:

Thanks. Ok for now.

Sparky :

Ok thank you.

Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again. The bonus is greatly appreciated.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/