Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Mike, we are replacing a Hunter fan/light with a MinkaAire

Mike, we are replacing a Hunter fan/light with a MinkaAire Spacesaver F510. The Hunter light and fan were powered by the wall switch, then separately powered at the fan/light by pull chains. So, black wire carries power to the switch, then to ceiling box/fan, with white being routed from source through switch box to ceiling box/fan. The Minka control separating Fan and Light is IN THE SWITCH, at the switch box! It has a 3rd wire going out of the switch, and there is a 3rd wire going into the fan/light (excluding ground wires). I do not have a 3rd wire from the switch box to the ceiling box!! How do I make this work without ripping up the wall and ceiling to add a wire? Thanks for your help. DaveR, Georgia

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you.The only option being what it is, is yo install a remote control on the fan. Otherwise both light and fan will work together.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it at all possible to use the ground wire from the switch box to the fan as that 3rd 'powered' wire? I know it would not be to code...

No! That would present a shock hazard on the circuit.