Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

Hi... wiring z-wave switches. Box has two cables coming from

Hi... wiring z-wave switches. Box has two cables coming from top (black, white, ground) and one coming from the bottom. Box contains two switches with a traveler between them. Does 'line' come from the top or bottom of the box?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you.

it can be ether. do you have a multimeter? or any type of electrical tester?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

let me check

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
ok let me know.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

thanks for the help.. yes

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
ok. is it a volt meter with 2 probes? do you know how to use it?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

one wire (black with clip) and probe

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
can you tell me the manufacturer of the tester so i can look up?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

scosche digital multi-meter

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
they make different kinds. does it say that its good for 120v? can you tell me model number or do you know how to use?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

tk12v

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
it looks like its 12v :(.

Mark we can try to determine which is hot without meter. it will just take few tries. do you want to do it?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

sure... The meter gave a reading on one of the black from the top. All the whites are capped together

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
ok so lets assume that is hot. lets name that wire as black 1

the other 2 as black 2 and 3.

first lets try this. shut the breaker off. keep whites spliced. splice black 1 and black together. turn the breaker on and tell me which light comes on.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The traveler wire is hot... from the bottom of the box.

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
did you do what I asked to double check? or you are all set and do not need my help anymore?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I did connect wire black 1 to black 2 which are from the top of the box. No lights came on. Fussing with it ... which helped me see that the black from the bottom is hot. The two wires from the top are the lights. One for outside the door and one for the house floods. Knowing that ... how do I connect the z-wave three way switch and auxiliary switch.

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
yes but if you only have 3 black wires you do not have 3 way system. you have 2 single pole switches. where were you planning to install auxiliary switch?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I may have a misunderstanding of how this works and have several regular and aux switches so can make this work with what I have.

With that said, I wanted one switch for the porch and one for the flood which is what was installed (manual switches). I thought that you would need a z-wave three way and aux because there was a traveler between the manual switches.

Now that we know that the bottom wire is hot and the two wires on the top are for the porch and flood... not sure what I need to do?

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
we need 45609 do you have that? if yes how many and what color wires are coming out of it?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

yes I have several 45609, but now confused as to how to hook it up.

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
Does it have one black (line ) one black (load ) one white (neutral ) and one ground wire coming out of it?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

By the way... its gotta to be hard to not see what I see... thanks for hanging-on

Yes, the bottom (and each cable) has black, white, ground.

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
I meant coming out of the z wave.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The switches are like manual switches where the wires connect to them so no wires coming out

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
So It has screw terminals? If yes are the screw colors different?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

yes, Terminals.. Load, line, Traveler, neutral.

All three of my cables have white caped together.

So... how do I take the one (bottom cable) and connect two zwave switches.. one to each of the (top cables). One switch for the porch and one for floods.

Expert:  Alex replied 12 months ago.
This is what we need to do. Add 2 white pig tails ( short piece of wire ) to the splice of white wires. Connect the other ends of each white pig tail to the neutral screw on each z wave switch.
Splice black coming from bottom together with 2 black pig tails. Connect each black pig tail to each Line screw of each z wave switch. Connect one black from top to Load screw on one z wave switch. Connect another black from top to another z wave switches load screw.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience: Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.