AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Hi, I have a z-wave switch on every light in my house. It is

Customer Question

Hi, I have a z-wave switch on every light in my house. It is an ADT Pulse system that uses the GE Jasco switches. I decided to switch some out to be dimmers so I have purchased the Pulse compatible dimmers, Jasco 45612, to install. Each of the ones I'm changing out are just a single switch (not 3 or 4 way), so I thought it would be a piece of cake.

However, as I pull the old GE switches, there are two black (a line and a load), a white, and a ground going into them. The Jasco 45612 only has a place for line, load, and ground, so now I have a white that goes to nothing. If I simply cap off the white and connect the two black and ground, the switch does not work.

So I'm stumped and I hate to pay someone to come out for something that I'm sure is ridiculously simple to fix. Here's the pdf to the Dimmer manual: http://www.jascoproducts.com/support/manual-downloads/applications/DocumentLibraryManager/upload/45612_45613-terminals-Eng-Manual.pdf
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Please stand by while I check on the 46512. As I remember it wires differently..
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
What is the model number of the other switch modual?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The originals are Jasco 45609.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
If you check the instructions, you'll see that a 46510 is required and the 46512 must be in the switch box with the wires to the light.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That doesn't make sense as this is a single switch and the 46510 is simply a slave for a 45612. Please advise.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I missed that it was a single switch. See the diagram below. Note that the white wire only connects to the neutral going to the light,

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
If that is the way you have it wired and it doesn't work, swap the black wires.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately my assistance wasn't to your approval. If you needs further discussion on the problem all you had to do is state what you needed. I'll opt out.
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. My name is Tommy and would be glad to assist.

1. Do you have a voltage tester and Can you determine which wire is the power, the 120 volts?

2. What type of bulbs are in the fixture you are installing the dimmer on?