Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

trying to replace an old 5-wire ballast (black & white one

trying to replace an old 5-wire ballast (black & white one one end, one red, two blue on the other) with and 8-wire ballast (black & white, 2 yellow on one end; 2 red 2 blue on the other)

The fixture has one black, one white, one red, two blue.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

What is the model # XXXXX brand?

Customer:

Sylvania

Sparky :

Model#?

Customer:

QTP 2x40T12/unv RS SC

Sparky :

Got it give me a sec.

Customer:

Thanks

Sparky :

You're going to have to rewire the sockets and start fresh just as the picture diagram shows on your ballast. Would you like for me to explain it to you, or could you follow the diagram?

Customer:

At one end...if i understand both blues into one lamp, both reds into the other lamp.

Sparky :

That is correct.

Customer:

At the other yellow into each lamp?

Sparky :

Just a sec.

Customer:

I'm not certain of the diagram on the yellows.

Customer:

It shows each yellow going into both lamps?

Sparky :

ok on the yellow side you have 2 yellows. On your socket you have a couple of holes on each side of each socket. Take one yellow to one side of the socket, from the same side of the socket come out with a piece of wire and jump it to one side of the other socket. Then do the same on the other side of the sockets with the other yellow. Got it?

Customer:

yellow from ballast to each socket, then jump one socket to the other and then jump back?

Sparky :

Give me a few minutes and I'll make one up and send you a picture.

Customer:

no problem

Customer:

That's what the yellow end will look like, correct?

Sparky :

Yes. I did it in colors so you would know the different wires.

Customer:

the other end will be both blues together, both reds together?

Customer:

perfect! thank you

Sparky :

Please rate. Thank you

Rick, Master Electrician
Experience: 10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I noticed that my sockets are shunted so I cannot wire as indicated in your picture.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Can you post a picture for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

uploading

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
No picture yet. But you may need to go to home depot and buy some new sockets.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/