AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

my kitchen has three separate wall switches that control the

my kitchen has three separate wall switches that control the ceiling lamps. I have opened up and revealed one of the switches and it says 4-way with 2white wires on one side and 2 blacks on the other, no ground wire directly to the switch, but it is tied to two others in the box.
I would like to install a dimmer switch for a bunch of cfl/led lamps and am wondering if I have the correct new switch. it is a Lutron TGCL-153PH-WH. it says CFL 150 W or led 150W. single pole or 3-way. do i need a 4 way?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 11 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

The switch you identified with the 2 whites and 2 blacks connected is the 4 way , yes. If you want to replace that switch, you would have to use a 4 way.

AssuredElectrical :

Now, if you want to replace one of the other 2 on those lights, they are both 3 way switches. One of those positions could be replced with the dimmer you have already.

Customer:

i dont know what you mean by "one of the other 2 on those lights" ?

Customer:

oh., i think i figured it out

Customer:

one of the other two switches right?

AssuredElectrical :

with a 4 way, there are 2- 3 ways that work together with it

AssuredElectrical :

correct,

Customer:

yes, i would like to leave the 4way alone then and replace one of the other two

AssuredElectrical :

swap either one of them, they will have only 3 wires

Customer:

ok, thanks much.

AssuredElectrical :

Pay attention to the wire on the Black screw

Customer:

ok

AssuredElectrical :

it is called the common

Customer:

why?

Customer:

ok

AssuredElectrical :

match it to the dimmer common

AssuredElectrical :

the other 2 do not matter

Customer:

is the common also called the live?

AssuredElectrical :

no, it is just common, your dimmer has a common post or black screw

Customer:

the new dimmer has no black screw

AssuredElectrical :

ok, doe sit have One odd screw?

AssuredElectrical :

instructions say it has a black screw, so they changed something

Customer:

yes, it has a bronze color at the bottom as opposed to the other two gold ones

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, the bronze will be the common, it is always the odd colored screw

AssuredElectrical :

so, take the wire off the existing 3 way on the Odd screw and be sure it goes to the new dimmer odd screw

AssuredElectrical :

The other 2 wires will not matter, either one to either of the 2 gold screws

Customer:

ok, great! thanks

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade