AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

I am installing a hot tub in my back yard. Hot tub sits on

I am installing a hot tub in my back yard. Hot tub sits on 3- 6 x 6 wood beams which themselves sit on a concrete aggregate pad. We built a deck around the hot tub. We are wiring the hot tub with #6 thhn wire. We have 4- 100 foot lengths of this wire...black, red, green and white. We wired the black and red to a 60amp breaker (non gfci) from the house panel in the garage, out the wall to the outside of the garage which is in a junction box and then into 1.5'' schedule 40 above/below ground pvc. The wires in the house panel are one black and one red to the breaker, the white and green go to the same bus bar. The conduit goes under the drive way and stretches 50 feet into my back yard.

From there the wires currently come out of the ground and stretch another 40 feet through the grass to the hot tub. We just connected the wires to see if the tub works and it does.

My plan from there is to come up out of the ground and reduce the conduit from 1.5'' down to 1'' and then go up along a 4x4 post through the bottom of the deck into our spa disconnect panel. In the panel we have a 60amp gfci breaker. There we will wire the white and green to separate bus bars that are labeled for white and green inside the disconnect panel. The red and black will go to the gfci breaker.

What I want to do from there is come back out of the spa panel in 1'' conduit, through the deck floor and then stay in 1'' conduit and mount the conduit to the bottom side of the deck. This run would be 30 feet to the hot tub where the 1'' conduit would connect to flexible conduit and the flexible conduit would connect to the spa electric panel.

My questions: Does it seem correct what we've done so far? And is it legal or code to not bury the conduit that runs under the deck but rather attach it with brackets to the bottom side of the deck? I intend to call an electrician friend of mine when he's back from vacation to come out and look everything over but I want to get it as correct as possible both for safety and because he will bust my chops if it's not right.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 11 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

have read over the description and see nothing that needs changing at this point. Plan appears to be accurate.

AssuredElectrical :

One item, the PVC that is above ground and is in a location that could possibly be damaged, requires schedule 80 and not 40

Customer:

So it is ok not to bury the conduit that comes out of the spa panel and run it under the deck as long as it is schedule 80?

AssuredElectrical :

Sure, do that type install often on wooden decks.

AssuredElectrical :

PVC can run in and out of the ground, either way is approved.

Customer:

Do I need to have an expansion fitting on the pvc where it exits the ground?

AssuredElectrical :

Not necessary for any expansion unless you are fastend to the house and deck at the same time, normally out of the ground to a stationary location it is fine without. Should not be much movement in that direction. I would not use one.

Customer:

Last question. Is schedule 80 available in 1''?

AssuredElectrical :

Sure, may have to shop the different supply houses to find the one that carries it, but use it all the time.

AssuredElectrical :

If it is a low deck and there is no chance of damaging the conduit with equipment ot by people, the 40 will work. The key is "susceptible to damage" that requires 80

Customer:

Deck is on a pier system 4 feet off the ground but is surrounded by lattice. Nobody can get under there unless they remove a lattice panel. What do you think? 40 or80?

AssuredElectrical :

Sounds like it is out of any possible damage area, I would use the 40

AssuredElectrical :

It is really an enclosed area, so no problem with the 40

Customer:

Ok thanks for the help!

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade