Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.

I have a new pond pump that is a 230v 1phase 3hp, the issue

I have a new pond pump that is a 230v 1phase 3hp, the issue is I have a green wire for ground, and two small white wires one of them with a black stripe and then a thicker white wire. I am not sure how to hook these into my box that is already installed from my other pump.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 11 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

The pump motor should have a nameplate that shows the correct connections. Do you see that?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes it tells me to connect the two smaller wires together as one line and the the other as "P" line... does that make sense?

Ok, is there only one connection option i.e. you do not see a 'High' and a 'Low' connection on the nameplate?

And I assume that you have two wires and a ground in your box?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes a black and red and then the ground, the white wire is capped in the box. This is what is confusing about it. There is no high or low on the plate that I see.

Ok, I want to be sure here. Do you have the model of the motor/pump?

Is it for example, an LP1502 series?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay, it says LP series 110060

LR2520

Ok, I have this: http://screencast.com/t/hRbGrUAYI8

Does that look familiar?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes but there is no yellow wire and I do not understand the numbers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

line 2 is the two smaller white wires one of them having the black stripe right, and line 1 being the larger white wire...

but which goes to black and red in the box?

Well, assuming that the two white wires are tied together, that would tie to one of you conductors and the thicker one to the other. Then check rotation and if it is incorrect, reverse the two connections.

That should work. You can't fry the motor.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards

Steve

Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience: 27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you much for your help.