Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

Ok so I have a 220v outlet that was from an in the wall AC

Ok so I have a 220v outlet that was from an in the wall AC unit, which I sometimes use to plug an air compressor into. What I would like to do is plug my rv in which is 30amp 125v. My question is can I run some conduit out the house down the wall (about three feet) to a breaker box for the rv? I have seen them online with breakers and outlets all together. Could I still use the 220 outlet for the compressor (not at the same time) or should I scratch it.

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

Hi your wall AC more than likely only has wire that is rated for 20 Amps. You would be overloading the circuit. You would need to run a new 220 v circuit from your panel to where you want the AC plug to be at. You would need to run #10 wire.

Sparky :

I'm sorry the RV plug to be at

Customer:

that would make sense I wasn't thinking about wire gage. So #10 is what I need? and do you know anything about the rv box I was talking about? Do you think I should run four wire or could I use three wire?

Sparky :

3 wires is usually all you need for a rv plug. 2 hot wires and a ground wire. Unless your rv has a 4 prong plug.

Customer:

ok just wanted to check, thanks so much!

Sparky :

Hold on a sec while I look into one thing for you.

Customer:

ok cool

Sparky :

Here you go. This is all you need the plug inside can either be a 3 or 4 prong depending on what you buy.

Full Size Image

Sparky :

Here is a link to their page Click here. You may want to shop around I just pulled this up on the internet.

Sparky :

I typed in outdoor 240 v plug into google. Just so you can shop around.

Customer:

Sweet, that saves me from looking it up. I think that's all I had for tonight Thanks again have a good night

Sparky :

No problem please rate, and thank you for your time

Make sure you get the right plug configuration and amperage rating.
Just wanted to say thank you Meg for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/