Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

I am wiring a small addtion on my home. I have a set of three

I am wiring a small addtion on my home. I have a set of three can lights that I have wired in a 3 way configuration. I have used a two wire source into the three way switch. I have come out of the three way with a 3 wire cable- common to common- black to common screw and red (traveler) into the first can light. I have the common to the common wire into the light, red to red and hot into into the common on the three wire out. The black or hot of the light is powered by the hot of the three wire coming out. I have done this on the other two and then gone into the other switch. I have Hot into the common screw, red to the travler or switch post and white below the hot on the three way. I have followed the wire diagram and when I power the lights the cans only come on at about half power. It is not a load issue as the rest of the room lights are fine. Could I have a bad can or what could be causing the lights to only come on half power?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Thank you for posting on www.justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you.

Lets make sure I understand correctly.
1. You have power 2 wire going to first switch. Then you ran 3 wire up to first light and continued 3 wire through 2 other 2 lights and brought 3 wire from last light down to second switch. Correct?
2. Is the room finished already or you did not put Sheetrock yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Yes two wire into the first three way switch and 3 wire into the other cans and down to the switch. The sheet rock is not on this section of the ceiling as I was wiring to have light in the room for the sheetrock process. I work days and work on it in the evening when I am home.

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
Hey Antony.

Your wiring set up will only work if you had one light.

You will need to run 3 wire from one switch to the other and splice as follow.
In the first switch: splice white of 2 wire and white of 3 wire going to the lights together and cap off with wire nut. Splice black of 3 wire going to the lights and black of 3 wire going to another switch together and cap off. Connect black of 2 wire to the black screw on the switch. Connect red and white of 3 wire going to second switch to the brass screws on the switch. Red wire of 3 wire going to the lights we will not be using at all.splice all ground wires together and tail it off to the green screw.

In the first 2 can lights : cap off red wires. Splice all white wires together. Splice all black wires together. Splice all ground wires together.

In the last can light: we will not be using 3 wire going down to second switch so cap those wires off. Also cap the red wire off of 3 wire coming from the lights. Splice the rest color to color.

In the second switch: we will not use 3 wire coming from the light . We only use 3 wire coming from another Switch. Connect black to black screw. Red and white to brass screws. Ground to ground screw.

Let me know if the walls are finished and you can not run the wire from one switch to another. Then I will tell you plan B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alex thanks- Now it makes sense why all three dont light with full power. My walls are drywalled so I cannot get a line down to the switch. Thanks Tony

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
Ok Tony. Plan B:

you will need to run 2 wire between each light. starting from first light.

switch 1: splice white wires together and cap off. connect black of 2 wire to the black screw. connect black and red of 3 wire to the brass screws.

light 1: splice all white wires together including white of light. splice black wires of 2 wire together and cap off. splice red wires of 3 wire together and cap off. splice black of new 2 wire together with the black of light. . all grounds together.

light 2: splice red wires of 3 wires together. splice black of 3 wires together. splice all white wires together. splice blacks of 2 wire and black of light together. all grounds together.

light 3: splice reds of 3 wires together. splice blacks of 3 wires together. splice white of 3 wire coming from light, white of 2 wire coming from light and white wire coming from light together. splice white of 3 wire going down to switch together with the black of the light. all grounds together.

switch 2: connect white to the black drew. red and black to brass screws. ground to the green screw.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience: Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.