Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

House 107 years old. Breaker box 25 years old. Wiring appears

House 107 years old. Breaker box 25 years old. Wiring appears to be somewhere in between. Last night power to the upstairs was off (all of upstairs on same circuit.) Checked and rechecked breaker; it was on. Now power is back on Has to be a break in either hot or neutral but the fact that it's back on has me freaked. Any suggestions besides an exorcist? Last night I was blaming the squirrels and said some unkind things about them. Could they have made the repair themselves?

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

How long was it off for?

Customer:

minimum of 3 hours, maximum of 12

Sparky :

More than likely it is a connection that has been failing for a long time. It heats up and expands, gets cool and contracts. In situations like this you will sometimes have power and sometimes you wont. Normally the loose connection will be at a receptacle. What you want to do is take a lamp or even a small plug in night light. Stick it in each receptacle and wiggle it around. See if you could get it to turn on or off, and that will be where you loose connection is. This is pretty common in older houses.

Customer:

That's what i figured it might be. Very comforting to get an answer. Thanks

Sparky :

When you find the loose connection turn the power of remove the receptacle and replace what needs to be replaced. Usually it's going to be the receptacle itself. Especially if the wires are stabbed into the back of the receptacle and not wrapped around a screw

Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again. The bonus is greatly appreciated.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/