Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

Using HVAC gloves, I need to splice the main lines (from meter

Using HVAC gloves, I need to splice the main lines (from meter to box) from my bad breaker box to the new one. As long as I only touch one line at a time and use the HVAC gloves this can be done without electrocution. Correct?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Customer:

Hello Rick

Sparky :

Too many things can go wrong. Help me understand what you are trying to do. You have a old 200 amp panels and you got a new 200 amp panel that you are trying to feed?

Sparky :

Hi

Customer:

That is correct. Currently I only have power to half my house. For some reason some breakers in the indoor breaker box just don't conduct power. I do know that the 200 amp main breaker outdoor is sparking and basically an electrical fire waiting to happen. I want to install the new box tomorrow, but can't get a commitment out of my electrical provider to come out and shut down the power any time soon.

Sparky :

What you need to tell them is that you need to speak with a supervisor and that you have a fire hazard emergency situation, and that it is arcing. I have never heard of a power company not going out for something like that.

Sparky :

DId you tell them that? and what did they say?

Customer:

So you really don't recommend I try this myself then.

Customer:

They asked it it was an emergency line down, and I said no, but my breaker box was sparking and making noise.

Customer:

They told me to replace the breaker box and call them when I was ready to schedule an appointment.

Sparky :

Tell them it is a emergency situation and that your house can burn down. There is no breaker that will shut off from the power company side. It will keep arcing until it burns down.

Customer:

Ok, I will try that. I will get it ready but not try to splice the live wires. Thanks for the advice.

Sparky :

By them telling you to replace the panel. I'm sure they were talking about get a electrician to replace your panel. You need to get a permit, have inspection and the whole bit.

Sparky :

Only a qualified person should touch utility wires. There is no coming back from death.

Customer:

I put the original one up, they approved it and connected the power.

Customer:

ok. Thanks.

Sparky :

But there was no power there to kill you.

Customer:

True.

Sparky :

No problem.

Rick, Master Electrician
Experience: 10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again. The bonus is greatly appreciated.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/