Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

I am trying install a new Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan with Light

I am trying install a new Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan with Light Kit, plus remote control.

Coming from the ceiling I have a white, black, red, and ground wire.

The remote control only has a red and white wire to connect to the supply lines.

Can I hook the (ceiling) black and red wires to the remote control red wire?

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

On the receiver Do the wires say line and load? What other colors are on the remote?

Customer:

the remote has a red and a white line in. On the other side of the remote is a white, blue, and black out.

Sparky :

The black and red coming from the ceiling more than likely go to 2 separate switches on your wall. If you connect both you will have to have both switches either on or off in order to disconnect power going to the fan. There is nothing wrong with doing that. Just be aware. Normally I connect either the red or black wire to the receiver and wire nut the other wire for safety.

Customer:

Thanks Rick! When I took down the old ceiling fan there was a blue wire that went to the red ceiling wire and the black went to the black. The fan and light had pull chains to control them, but only one wall switch that had power running to the unit. If you think I should wire nut the blue line, that is what I'll do. I just don't want to blow the house up.

Customer:

Sparky :

Here is what I would do in this scenario. Because you only have one wall switch, let me ask you. When you turned of the switch did both the fan and light shut off before?

Customer:

Yes, depending upon which pull chains had been activated.

Sparky :

Say you had both the fan and light on, and you turned the switch off Did both the fan an light shut off?

Customer:

Yes

Sparky :

Great then you can go ahead and put both wires onto the red. It will not make a difference since the switch controls both of the wires. I just wanted to make sure that 1 of the wires was not hot all the time and the other switched. So you're in good shape. I hope I have provided excellent service for you. Thank you for your time, and please don't forget to rate my service.

Customer:

Great, thanks Rick....have a great day.

Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again. The bonus is greatly appreciated.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/