Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I am replacing a dishwasher with direct wiring. The wall cable

I am replacing a dishwasher with direct wiring. The wall cable has a black & white but no ground. There is however a silver wire wrapped around the outside of the cable. Is this my ground? Do I connect it to my green wire?
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. I would need to see a picture, to be able to identify the cable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wire

That is a foil in armored cable. the connection of the cable providers the ground connection to the wiring box. If the ground wire isn't attached to the box, it should be to ground the unit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not understand your response. i will send picture of dishwasher i am connecting. please tell me if i should connect green wire to something? you can call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX

Connect the cable to the dishwasher . The box will be grounded with that connection. The green white can then be attached to the box, with a screw or a ground clip.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"The green white can then be attached to the box, with a screw or a ground clip."

Do you mean green wire can then be attached? it already is attached to dishwasher so when you say then be attached - attached to what? I just attach it to one of the screws? And i do nothing with the silver wire on my direct connection correct?

the green wire can be ignored. the cable connection grounds the unit. If another cable with a ground was used, then the green would be connected.