Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

Wiring Question-Have a wire run that was origionaly 220 volt

Wiring Question-Have a wire run that was origionaly 220 volt and we took that appliance out and left the 10ga wire there. There is 1 red 1 black 1 white and one 14ga bare wire. Was wondering if that wire can be used for 2 115 volt branch circuits by changing the double breaker to 2 singles-using the red for one branch-the black for the other branch- and sharing the white wire for common and bare between both branch circuits? Thanks

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

You can do this, with one exception to what you have proposed.

Jason :

When a neutral is shared, the two hot wires must be on a double pole breaker.

Jason :

Since it is #10 wire, the breaker is likely rated at 30 amps. But if you are planning to use the two new circuits for lighting and/or convenience outlets, I would downsize the breaker to a 20 amp.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help-this makes sense to me

Thank you for the Good rating. I really appreciate that. The reasoning behind the double pole breaker for circuits sharing a neutral is so all energized wires are de-energized when maintenance is required on the circuit.