AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Hi, A home we sold now has a non-working clothes dryer.

A home we sold now has a non-working clothes dryer. A technician from the local appliance repair company said the voltage was 11o on each leg but no 220.

We changed the circuit breaker (GE), a double 30-amp breker to no avail. Still not getting 240 across red and black.

All this after the owner's boyfriend installed a new line with conduit to the hot water heater on the opposite side of the 150 amp breaker panel.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

First suggection, is to remove the wires at the circuit breaker. Turn the breaker on and measure the output.

If it is 230 volts, reconnect the wires and then need to see if possible to follow the cable to the dryer location to be sure there are no junction points where there may be a tap that has become loose or anything else that maybe could have cut the cable.

If there is not 230 volts on the breaker output, need to look at where it plugs into the panel and be sure the stabs are good and if ok, the breaker must be bad.

AssuredElectrical :

Loss of 240 is only 1 of four possibilities. bad breaker, bad breaker connection on panel buss bar, wiring cut or disconnected between breaker and receptacle, or bad connection in the receptacle.

Customer:

I checked the tabs, all okay. Even moved the original circuit breaker to a new location. Then, bought a new circuit breaker. Still no 240. Wires checked out okay, no breaks or connections except at breaker and plug.

AssuredElectrical :

Did you measure the circuit breaker at the panel with the wires dioconnected?

Customer:

With the circuit breaker on, I checked power to the two screws, have 110 from each screw to ground, no 240 between the two screws.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, either a bad breaker or you dont have 240 on the main.

AssuredElectrical :

Check your main breaker for 240 volts

AssuredElectrical :

Maybe something happened outside from th power company or a loose connection coming into the house.

Customer:

Hot water heater and A/C are functioning perfectly, likely range too, but I didn't check that.

AssuredElectrical :

I would still measure those other breakers

AssuredElectrical :

I never assume all is correct until measuring

Customer:

I can go back and check, but first I'm going to pull my own cover and check readings there, then go over and look at the other home again. Thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

I would read the other double pole breakers. If the water heater measures 240 volts, put your dryer wires on it for a quick test to verify cable etc from the panel to the receptacle.

AssuredElectrical :

You must have 240 volts on the breaker at the panel with the wires disconnected or else something is wrong in the panel or breaker

Customer:

Thanks. Good idea. I can pull the dryer wires and connect to the water heater circuit breaker and see if it works then.

AssuredElectrical :

Always helps when you have other breakers to use as a temprorary test

AssuredElectrical :

Some panels have odd positions also, look at the buss bars inside. 240 volts uses one buss from one leg and one from the 2nd leg. There are panels that have locations inside that do not operate for 240 volts. If someone moved the breaker location, that is possible.

It is not seen often except on some old panels

AssuredElectrical :

You can see the buss bars as they go down the interior, every other bar is the same phase.

AssuredElectrical :

So, measure the 2 bars that the breaker plugs onto

AssuredElectrical :

be careful, slips can short the 2 out

Customer:

Problem solved, thanks. Someone (before I got there) had placed the circuit breaker in the wrong slot (using the same leg for both sides of the breaker). I thought about that and moved the breaker down to the bottom. No luck. Then, with the tester, I found the circuit breaker should go in the center catching the two separate legs, leaving two single slots top and bottom for a couple extra single breakers, if wanted.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade