Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have purchased the Hampton Bay Bathroom fan Model VFB25ACLED1-5

I have purchased the Hampton Bay Bathroom fan Model VFB25ACLED1-5 and I'm extremely frustrated with trying to wire it into my existing 12-3 wiring that controlled a previous fan and light (original contractor grade fixture) on 2 separate switches. I don't want to hook up the night light, just the fan and light on existing switches.

Can I use this unit without fishing additional wiring? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Please stand by.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Standing By Mike, thanks.

I should have also mentioned that I understand this unit converts 120v AC to 24v DC for the light, night light, and fan low voltage switches.

That's correct. Either install the wiring for the low voltage switches or connect the function wires to the yellow and feed the unit from one 120V switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

That didn't work, did I miss something? I attached the yellow to the function wires (Blue) Light and (Red) Fan wires. I attached Black (Light Switch) to Black (Unit), White to White (Unit), Grd to Grd (Unit), and didn't use the house Red (Fan Switch).

All I get is a slow moving fan when I flip the light switch.

Thoroughly confused and frustrated. I hope you have some magic to share with me now. Below are the pictures of the wiring involved.

Thanks Again, Wes

Try using the red instead of the black.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No light when light switch flipped and Fan comes on with fan switch initially to speed and then slows down????

See the sketch below. Is this the way you have it wired?

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes sir, that is exactly how I have it now and all I get is the fan coming on at half speed when the light switch is flipped on.

Try remaking the low voltage connections. If that doesn't resolve the problem, replace the unit as defective and wire the replacement as shown.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike, I was afraid that was going to be your final answer. What is with this vent unit? I see multiple posts about the same thing. Definitely going to a different manufacturer.

Again, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful.

Take Care,

Wes

Stick with Nutone units, they are the best for the buck.