Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience
29848548

I have purchased the Hampton Bay Bathroom fan Model VFB25ACLED1-5

I have purchased the Hampton Bay Bathroom fan Model VFB25ACLED1-5 and I'm extremely frustrated with trying to wire it into my existing 12-3 wiring that controlled a previous fan and light (original contractor grade fixture) on 2 separate switches. I don't want to hook up the night light, just the fan and light on existing switches.

Can I use this unit without fishing additional wiring? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Please stand by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Standing By Mike, thanks.

I should have also mentioned that I understand this unit converts 120v AC to 24v DC for the light, night light, and fan low voltage switches.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
That's correct. Either install the wiring for the low voltage switches or connect the function wires to the yellow and feed the unit from one 120V switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

That didn't work, did I miss something? I attached the yellow to the function wires (Blue) Light and (Red) Fan wires. I attached Black (Light Switch) to Black (Unit), White to White (Unit), Grd to Grd (Unit), and didn't use the house Red (Fan Switch).

All I get is a slow moving fan when I flip the light switch.

Thoroughly confused and frustrated. I hope you have some magic to share with me now. Below are the pictures of the wiring involved.

Thanks Again, Wes

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Try using the red instead of the black.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No light when light switch flipped and Fan comes on with fan switch initially to speed and then slows down????

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
See the sketch below. Is this the way you have it wired?

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes sir, that is exactly how I have it now and all I get is the fan coming on at half speed when the light switch is flipped on.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Try remaking the low voltage connections. If that doesn't resolve the problem, replace the unit as defective and wire the replacement as shown.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Mike, I was afraid that was going to be your final answer. What is with this vent unit? I see multiple posts about the same thing. Definitely going to a different manufacturer.

Again, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful.

Take Care,

Wes

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Stick with Nutone units, they are the best for the buck.