Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

MY NEW DRYER RUNS, AND BLOWS ONLY AIR...IS IT POSSIBLE THAT

MY NEW DRYER RUNS, AND BLOWS ONLY AIR...IS IT POSSIBLE THAT MY CIRCUIT BREAKER AT THE BOX IS FAILING TO PROVIDE THE 240V, YET STILL GIVES THE 120V TO RUN THE DRYER?? THE POWER CO. SAYS i HAVE 246V AT THE METER.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

It's possible you are missing one leg of the 240 volt power required to run the dryer properly. A meter would be the best way to confirm this.

Jason :

However, you can temporarily move the dryer wires to a different double pole breaker, and test the circuit that way.

Customer:

I KNOW I NEED TO HAVE AN ELECTRICAN DO THAT. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE "LEG" WOULD BE OUT AT THE BREAKER BOX, NOT A BROXXXXX XXXXXNE IN BETWEEN THERE AND THE OUTLET?

Jason :

If there are no splices between the breaker and the outlet, then the problem isn't likely to be a failed wire. I have only seen that happen a few times in 20 years of full time electrical work.

Jason :

So, if there is power loss on one leg, it's probably at the breaker panel or in the outlet.

Customer:

THANK YOU!! I WILL GET SOMEONE TO COME AND CHECK THE BREAKER BOX..HOPEFULLY NOT ONE OF THOSE "FEW TIMES IN 20 YEARS" PROBLEM.

Jason :

Probably not. It's most likely a very easy fix.