Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

I notice that in wiring 220 volt recepticals, that the terminals

I notice that in wiring 220 volt recepticals, that the terminals aren't all labeled the same. My code manual says to wire to the ground, L1, L2, and L3 but the fixtures are labeled in one of two ways: G,X,Y,Z or G,W,X,Y. What colour wire go where on these terminals for 220 single phase, and for 220 three phase? Thanks in advance for your time.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need some additional information from you in order to fully understand the situation.

Your single phase 220V plug, how many terminals does it have?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The single phase plug is a twist lock 20amp with 4 terminals. The terminals are labeled W,X,Y,Z. The 3 phase recepticals are twist lock 30amp with 4 terminals labeled G,W,X,Y

Since these are likely for the Canadian market, do you see any markings on the plug that may indicate the type. For example do you see anything like 10-30L or 6-50L anywhere on the receptacle?

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Don't see any such markings like that anywhere

Ok, take a look at this page and tell me which receptacles you have there: http://www.nooutage.com/nema_configurations.htm

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

L14-20R

Ok, the 14-20W is not a three phase plug. It is a 120/240 single phase receptacle that will be fed from a double pole breaker in a 120/240V panel.

G - Ground

W - Neutral (White)

X - Hot

Y - Hot

X and Y are interchangeable. It matters not which hot wire goes to which.

For your three phase receptacle, this should be fed from a three pole breaker in a three phase panel board.

G - Ground

X - Hot

Y - Hot

Z - Hot

Again, it does not matter which hot goes to which pin UNLESS the device has a specific rotation - like a motor - and it is rotating backwards. To remedy this, simply swap any two of the three hots around.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards

Steve