AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

The service is underground Do I need a outside disconnect

The service is underground
Do I need a outside disconnect if I come out of the exisiting meter base with a 2" PVC and run down the exterior of the house 10' and then inside to the new panel location.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

If the panel will be just inside the wall of where the service enters then it meets the code requirements.

AssuredElectrical :

Code requires the main breaker be at the closest point of entry or else it must go outside

AssuredElectrical :

Many here, do exactly as you are doing when it is possible. Some run a lot longer outside to the point of entry with no problems

AssuredElectrical :

We try to go into the rear of the panel and that makes it perfect for the requirement as it is exactly at the point of entry and no gray area to speak of

AssuredElectrical :

New construction, we do try to use combination meter/mains if possible, just for easier installs. But many re-works since they have mains already inside, try to get to it around the house if possible. Saves a little money and time

Customer:

Yes, to clarify, no limit on footage after the meter as long as it's outside? The PVC will also be about 4 ' off the ground straped to the side of the house. The wire will be individual condutors and the panel will still act as the main service and not a sub panel, correct?

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, that is correct. You are required to use schedule 80 PVC in that setup above ground for protection.

AssuredElectrical :

Your panel inside will be the Main disconnect

Customer:

thanks

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade