AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a double gang box over the kitchen sink with a non gfci

I have a double gang box over the kitchen sink with a non gfci receptacle that I want to upgrade to a gfci. The box is wired such that incoming power goes to the switch for garbage disposal and the power is pigtailed from the switch the existing outlet and then there is power going out to other outlets. The incoming power is 3 wire so the black is power to the switch and outlets and the red is connected by wing nut to the wire to the dishwasher and the dishwasher is on it's own breaker. I didn't change any of the wiring. I removed the old outlet and connected those wires to the line terminals on the gfci. The gfci is not working. How do I wire this so the gfci works and will this mean that the disposal and dishwasher will shut off when the gfci trips?

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you give me the details of how the black power enters the box and how it is connected ?

Customer: The black feed is connected to the switch for disposal and there is a pigtail that feeds wire to the outlet from there
AssuredElectrical :

Ok, how about the white wire?

Customer: All the white wires are connected together with wing nut and a pig tail from there to the outlet
AssuredElectrical :

ok, thanks

AssuredElectrical :

And the ground also pigtails?

Customer: Yes
AssuredElectrical :

So, does the entire wiring in the box, look like this?

AssuredElectrical :

Hang on, the site has issues

AssuredElectrical :

CLICK HERE

AssuredElectrical :

Does the wiring match that diagram?

Customer: Yes it matches
AssuredElectrical :

Ok, so what happens when you turn on the circuit breaker?

AssuredElectrical :

Does the disposal work?

AssuredElectrical :

Can you push the RESET button on the GFCI?

Customer: No the reset does not work and the incorrect wiring light is on
AssuredElectrical :

what incorrect wiring light?

AssuredElectrical :

a tester of some sort?

Customer: A light on the gfci
AssuredElectrical :

that light just lets you know the GFCI is tripped

AssuredElectrical :

has nothing to do with wiring

AssuredElectrical :

How many other receptacles are there downstream of the GFCI?

Customer: Sorry yes that's the light. When turn on the breaker the other outlets and disposal do not work
AssuredElectrical :

if the disposal does not work, then there is a bad connection in that box.

Customer: 1 receptacle dowstream
AssuredElectrical :

Take the incoming power black wire and put 2 pigtails on it, one to the switch and one to the receptacle

AssuredElectrical :

You must be sure it is the incoming power and not the black wire to the disposal

AssuredElectrical :

the disposal will work by itself even if the GFCI is tripped, so the wires must be reversed

AssuredElectrical :

Be sure you look at the back of the GFCI, it is written LINE and LOAD. Line is power in, load is power out.

AssuredElectrical :

Appears have lost you from the site, possibly power out on your end, not sure.

AssuredElectrical :

System will notify me when you post, so just reply with any information and we will sort it all out and get you working.

AssuredElectrical :

In case I am not online when you return. Best wiring practice is to pigtail the incoming power and have separate wires to the switch and receptacle, no jumpers between them. Do the same for the white wire also, attach pigtails to the incoming power white and use them separately for the receptacle and disposal and in this case, the dishwasher.

AssuredElectrical :

So you would have incoming white with 3 pigtails. One to each

AssuredElectrical :

The outgoing white to the next receptacle connects to the GFCI LOAD silver screw.

Customer: I'm here just trying your wiring. I did pigtail a black to the switch but still same issue nothing working. I did test the incoming wire so I'm positive the black I have is the feed and I do have the feed wired to the line terminal on the gfci. I will wire the white with pigtails like you suggest. Give me a few minutes to try this and I will let you know. Thank you
Customer: Ok I wired the white like you said. The disposal and dishwasher work. The gfci is still having the same issue when I turn on the breaker the light is on the gfci but keeps tripping when I push the reset
AssuredElectrical :

Ok, good progress, nice work. Must have been a loose connection on the white wires maybe.

AssuredElectrical :

Now, is anything plugged into the other receptacle that is downstream of the GFCI? If so, unplug and try to reset

AssuredElectrical :

If nothing is plugged into the other receptacle, do this for a check: Remove the black wire on the LOAD terminal, leave the LINE terminal connected. Then try a reset once more.

AssuredElectrical :

If it resets, then there may be a loose connection going to the next receptacle. What happens when changing over to a GFCI, the GFCI is very sensitive, and loose connections will trip them out, where standard receptacles don't care

Customer: Nothing plugged in the other receptacle and I did remove the black from the load but still having the same issue gfci will not reset
AssuredElectrical :

Ok, if you only have power connected to the proper LINE terminals on the white and black, then the GFCI is bad.

Customer: I thought that too but it is new. I do have another one I just bought so I will try that one
AssuredElectrical :

ok, yes try it

Customer: Ok that was the problem. Everything works properly now. Thank you for your help
AssuredElectrical :

you are very welcome