AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I would like to change two three way switch that control the

I would like to change two three way switch that control the same light. I would like to change one to a single pole switch and the other to an outlet. Both switches currently have black, red and white wires (and a ground) connected to them. Can I do this this?
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

It will all depend on how the electrician originally wired the switches and light as there are a many number of ways to incorporate 3 way switches.

Need some information to determine the situation.

1. Need a total count of all wires inside each 3 way location.
Every wire and its color.

2. How many lights? 1?

3.Which location do you want the receptacle?

Cal them switch 1 and switch 2 for all the information and that way I will know where you want the single pole and the receptacle.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Every wire and its color.
Switch 1: I would like the single pole switch. Two switches, a single pole with 2 black and a ground (controls light in dining room); and a three way switch with black, red, white and ground (controls fixture in kitchen-this is the one I want to change to single pole).

Switch 2: I would like the receptacle. Two switches also; one single pole controls a can light. It has two black wires and ground connected to it and two white wires wired together. The three way in that box has a black, white, red and ground connected.
2. How many lights? 1? Yes, the switches control one light only, however each three way switch is in a double box with another single pole switch that controls a separate light.

Thanks for the information,

1. Do you have a voltage tester?
If so, please measure the 2 black wires on the can light switch and find out which one is power, top or bottom.

2. Both 3 ways are stated as 3 wires which is normal.
Are all 3 of those wires from the same cable?

No other wires in either box connected or not to the switches?

3. Look on each 3 way and see which wire is connected to the black screw?
Two screws should be brass or same color and one should be black or odd color

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. I have a multimeter and a non-contact voltage tester, which would you like me to use?

2. It appears to be from the same cable, as it goes to only the light in the kitchen and back to each three way switch, without looking in the ceiling, though, I can't be sure.

3. On the switch I want to change to a single pole the black wire is connected to the black screw. On the other switch, the black wire is in the same position, but its hard to tell the color of the screw for sure. There appears to be an "x" on two of the screws and not the other.

Prefer the multi meter to test for the switch voltage.
Non-contacts can be misleading at times.

Find which location, top or bottom is the constant hot.

On the 3 ways, sounds like there is another junction, probably in the light since you only have 3 wire cables to each switch.

We will work it that direction anyway.

So, at this point, we need 2 things.

1. Test the can light switch for the constant hot wire--top or bottom

2. Switch 2 location 3 way which will be removed-----Turn off power, then remove the black and red wires on the switch and connect them together with a wire nut, then restore power and see if the the other 3 way does not operate the light by itself.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Constant hot on can light switch is top black wire; I may have messed up, I touched the bottom black wire with my multi-tester and got nothing, touched the top black wire and got a spark and it kicked the breaker, so I assume it's the hot one!

Wired black and red together in switch 2, switch 1 is working backwards-up is off, down is on!

Ok, thanks.

sTART HERE----
Switch location 2:

Remove the 3 way switch and keep the red and black wire together
with a wire nut and push them into the box.

Take the white wire from the 3 way switch and cap it off with a wire nut and tape, it is now unused.

Install the receptacle in that open slot in the box now.

Take the hot wire off the can light switch (top screw) and connect
to a brass screw on the receptacle.
Then take a short piece of black wire and connect one end to the other
brass screw on the receptacle and connect the other end back to the switch where you just removed the black wire
(top screw).

Take a short jumper white wire, connect to the 2 whites in the back of the box and
connect it to the silver screw side of the receptacle (either screw).

Do the same for grounds and connect to the green screw on the receptacle.

Switch location 1:

Leave as -is.
Turn the 3 way switch over in the box and just use it as-is.

You can change it out to a single pole but it isnt necessary

No other changes necessary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need to change the three way in switch 1 to a single pole switch which wires do I hook up and which do I cap off? I'm changing the switch style.

Ok, connect the red and black wire to the single pole, cap the white wire, it is unused.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have finished all the connections except the ground in switch 2, do I use the ground from the cable with the red, black and white or do I connect to the ground from the existing switch for the can light?

Normally all ground wires in the same box are all connected together.

Then use a jumper wire from the group to the switch
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I connect the ground for the receptacle?

Follow the ground wire on the switch, it should lead to a group of ground wires.
That is where you add one and connect to the receptacle.