Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

in my kitchen i have an electrical socket and a light switch

in my kitchen i have an electrical socket and a light switch side by side. The switch goes to the light above the sink and I am trying to make the socket a gcfi. from the wall I have two black wires and two white wires. I have been able to wire the gcfi correctly (it tripped and turned back on) but I have no idea how to wire the switch from the gcfi to make the light work. I took a few pictures if they will help?
Hello and Thank you for posting on www.justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you.

How many and what color wires are coming out gfci combo?

How many and what color screws are on gfci combo?

Did you already determine which black and white pair is hot?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Was that white wire connected to previous switch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i did not take a pic of the wiring before hand and should have =0( but yes, the there was a white wire into both. i think two black wires went into the old standard socket and then there was also a "jumper" wire in between the socket and the switch?

Do you have volt meter with two probes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

We need to know for sure. Do you remember if white wire connected to switch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes one of the white wires was, I just don't remember which one

As you can see there are 2 sets of wires coming in the box. Each consists of black and white. Can you identify those sets?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my dad has a meter i can borrow, but not right this second, It'd be an hour or so. so if you can tell me the wiring configuration I will test the wires and do the connections when he gets here. I also have extra wire I can clip and use as "jumpers" if I need to

I'm here. Just post back here when you get the tester.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am 99% sure i know which wires are hot because I got the gcfi wired properly, so the wires I used for that are the hot ones!

Will you get the tester or you want to do the try?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just try it =0)

Ok. Lets try.

So as of now you have gfci wired and its working. And you have one set of black and white wires left . Correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Please shut the breaker off.

Connect remaining white wire to one of the brass screws on the switch. Black wire connect to another brass screw on the switch. Turn the breaker on. Let me know if the light works when you turn the breaker on. It might trip.

Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

gcgi still works. no switch, no trip

Now lets do this.

Shut the breaker off. Label the black and white wires going to gfci as hot so we remember.

Disconnect the wires from gfci. Splice white wires together. Splice black wires together. Turn the breaker on and tell me of lights come on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

splice wires together, meaning: put both white on one screw, and both black on one screw of the switch?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so i took the switch out of the configuration and yes the light comes on

No switch no gfci. We just testing. Only wires. Splice wires together as I asked.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the light works with just the wires

Good.Now add white pig tail ( short piece of white wire ) to the splice of white wires . Connect the other of the white pig tail to the silver line screw on the gfci.Disconnect black wires from each other. Connect the black wire ( not hot ) to one of the brass screws on the switch.Splice hot black wire and 2 black pig tails together. Connect one black pig tail to the brass LinE screw on the gfci. Connect another black pig tail to another brass screw of the switch.Let me know if you have more questions.