Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.
Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) I would recommend that you have your condo association contact Connecticut Light & Power by dialing "811" on the telephone and in turn, they will contact member utilities to come to the site and mark where the underground utilities are located. This will include Utility Electric, Gas, Public Water, Cable TV and Telephone. CL&P outsources this service at no cost and the sub-contractor will come out to the property to mark and identify the aforementioned utilities using colored flags and colored spray paint from their point of entry on the property to your immediate area. They will also provide you with brochure that will explain the color codes of the marking. The color codes will identify the various utilities by type and by depth. They will not provide you with any drawings, diagrams or schematics. Once the underground lines have been identified and color coded, it would be up to you and/or the condo association to measure such lines and create your own diagram or drawing of the underground layout.
Here is the link to Connecticut Light & Power:
2) If you have any other underground types of wires, cables, water, etc. that are not provided by the local utility and are considered as private, the condo association would need to contact a private contractor to identify and mark any non-utility or private lines. There will also be a cost incurred for this service if any private lines are installed underground on the property.
3) I would recommend that you contact the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority for any concerns due to possible EMF.
Here is a link to their website:
4) I located a web site for the United States Environmental Protection Agency regarding EMF on Power Lines:
Here is the link to the US EPA article on the EMF subject:
5) I would also recommend that you discuss your health symptoms with your Physician. I am aware that EMF is an issue with overhead transmission lines, but am uncertain on the EMF topic when lines are buried underground. The overhead transmission lines are subject to emitting a much higher amount of EMF due to the thousands of volts those lines carry. Underground electrical lines can transport thousands of volts as well (usually a lesser amount compared to overhead towers), but this amount is between the electric utility transformers and not into a private property. The voltage is stepped way down for residential, commercial and industrial use.
Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ..........Thanks..............Kevin!
If you knew about our condo board, it is like pulling teeth for them to act on anything, so I don't think they would take kindly to my suggesting this or even cooperating. I have read that underground lines do generate more emfs as they are closer to people than the lines overhead. You might read what this author out of France says about both over and underground lines. Thank you for your help Kevin.
1) Thanks for your replies Jean............ interesting article on the Power Line EMF.
2) I understand about the condo boards. However, since you own a portion of the building, I would think that they would listen to your concern.
Jean..... Thank you very much for the excellent rating as well as the bonus.....much appreciated!
If you have any other questions, just let me know.
Take care and have a great evening..................Thanks................Kevin!