Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

What Size Wire To Use For A 200 Amp 3 Phase Feeder?

What size wire do you need for a 200 amp 3 phase feeder?

Hello. I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

What is the 3-phase voltage and approximate distance?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

480vac 400 ft

1) Calculating the voltage drop using a 200 amp load with 480VAC 3-Phase @ a 400 foot run results in 2/0 Copper with a 2.7% voltage drop or 13 volts.

2) Calculating the voltage drop using a 200 amp load with 480VAC 3-Phase @ 400 foot run results in 4/0 Aluminum with a 2.5% voltage drop or 11.8 volts.

3) Due to the distance, the use of 4/0 Aluminum will be more cost efficient than using copper conductors.

Hope this helps.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So would I need a 3c 2/0 cabal or what do you recommend?

I want to use copper.

1) Nick..... 2/0 copper will work fine, but keep in mind that copper will cost more than aluminum does. I also prefer to use copper as much as I can. Was just trying to provide you with both options.

2) Either one will work as they are both under the recommended 3% maximum voltage drop.