AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade

I have been doing renovations at my church trying to get some

I have been doing renovations at my church trying to get some fire hazards taken care of. when doing this I learned that the lights were running on a 220 line, when the lights are on there is feedback in the sound system so I know there was a ground issue there. I've always been told residential electrical is standard at 110 so I tapped the lights into a 110 line the ran to additionally to one outlet. When I did this the feed back disappeared but the lights were too dim. Now the light bulbs are 25watt bulbs that are fixed to 6 chandeliers. So I reran the lights to the 220 but the dimmer can only be up halfway, my question is if I keep the lights on the 110 line and go to a higher wattage bulb would that eliminate the dimness or would it be a power output problem?
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Can you please clarify?

The lights were working fine and you changed the wiring? Is that correct?

Do you have a voltage tester?

How do you know they were operating on 220 volts to begin with?

Are these fluorescent lights?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The wiring wasn't done properly someone earlier last year had to add additions to the sound room and just messed things up. I put a voltage tester on the wires and they were running 220. the chandeliers run on 10 to 15 25 watt incandescant bulbs.

Are the chandeliers operating with standard screw in bulbs?

Your only problem is the lights are dim?

You stated:
I tapped the lights into a 110 line the ran to additionally to one outlet

How did you get 120 off a 220 line?

You stated:
So I reran the lights to the 220 but the dimmer can only be up halfway

So, what are the lights operating on now?

What is the make and model of the dimmer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know the make and model of the dimmer. The light bulbs are standard screw in bulbs and are currently running on a 220 current. I tried running the lights off of a 110 current that wasn't powering anything but an interior outlet. However when I did that the lights were not bright enough with the dimmer fully on. So I ran the lights back into 220 current but with that I have to leave the dimmer halfway on or the light bulbs will pop. I need to know if a higher wattage bulb on the 110 current will resolv the brightness issue or if they need to stay on the 220
Ok, thanks.

1. standard screw in base bulbs are 120 volts, so operating them on 220 volts is very dangerous.

They need to be operating on 120 volts.

2. That is probably why the dimmer can only go halfway, because it is creating a lower voltage because of its design and keeping the bulbs from exploding.

3. I would have to see the chandeliers to determine the maximum wattage on them.
It is usually determined by the quantity of bulbs and how the bulbs are arranged on the fixture itself along with the base style.

If they are candelabra bulbs, probably 40 watts is the max on the fixture, if they are standard base then 60 watts.
Some fixtures allow up to 75 watts, but again, without seeing or know what you have, that issue could not be determined.

Normally on hanging lights, the lower base cap is removable on the fixture and many times there is a label inside that states the maximum wattages, or in the canopy where they meet the ceiling. One of those locations should have the label.
But, the lights need to be 120 volts in either case for proper wiring and safety.