Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

I am looking to purchase a 60kw generator. http://www.kohlerpower.com/onlinecatalog/pdf

I am looking to purchase a 60kw generator.

http://www.kohlerpower.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/g4077.pdf

Our panels are rated for 120/208. We have an Eaton panel. Will this generator be able to connect to our panel even though its rated at 120/240 ?

The generator will be fed through a 400amp transfer switch

Thompson Technology TS842 automatic transfer switch

http://www.onsitepowerinc.com/documents/supplierDocs/thompson_technology/840_Series.pdf

The exact model of the ATS is TS842A0400B1AD1DNKAA

We are based in Canada.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..if the electrical system in your building is 120/208V 3 phase, then you need an alternator that is 120/208V 3 phase.

The pdf you provided indicates that 120/208V 3 phase is an option - as it should be, it is the most common commercial building supply voltage in USA/Canada.

Is there a reason that you are not getting the 120/208V 3 phase option?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are limited available generators. We are not buying a brand new unit. The unit is used. Its equipped with 120/240v.

Just want to know if it will be more of a hassle trying to match it up to our 120/208.

How much of your building is going to be connected to this generator?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its for our datacenter. all the computer equipment. it will be connected to a certain panel that feeds another panel that goes to the equipment

Looking at the pdf you provided for the generator, look on page 2. There are three available alternators: 4P10, 4S7 and 4V7. Do you know which one you have and whether or not it is 120/240 single phase or 120/240 three phase (actually this is probably a high leg delta winding).

In either case I don't think this is going to work. The three phase unit only has 120V available on one leg, not three. Your building is wired completely differently.

You need a 120/208V three phase unit. Which brings me back to my original thought. Do you know which alternator you have?

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its a 120/240volt I know this from the plate on the side of the generator. the seller sent me a picture of it.

its three phase 120/240

it also says 4s7 on the plate as well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hmmm justanswer is messed up it wont let me upload the image I have.

That's ok.

My advice is that this will not work.

To provide 240V 3 phase and 120V single phase, the alternator is wired in a 'high leg delta' arrangement. You can read more about that here: >>>CLICK<<<

This would work great IF your building was wired in a similar manner but it is not. It is wired for 120/208V 3 phase 4 wire.

The problem is connecting the generator output to the building system. It will not work.

You need a 120/208V 3 phase generator. Sorry.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards
Steve