Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

I drilled a one inch screw into my wall next to an electrical

Customer Question

I drilled a one inch screw into my wall next to an electrical outlet. There was an old hand towel holder there and I replaced it with two new holes less than half an inch from existing holes. Is there any chance I knocked a wire? I didn't lose power or
get shocked, but want to know if this is a possible hazard. It's only one inch into the wall and I used a plastic hanging insert that the screw goes into, but drilled a pilot hole first. It's one inch into wall and right next to power outlet ( side ). Let
me know your thoughts as I don't want an electrical fire. Thanks.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.
Hello.... my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you with your electrical question. Welcome to Just Answer!
1) If your house is wired using EMT metal conduit, then the chance of hitting a wire is very slim, since the wires are located inside metal conduit. You would have to drill inside the metal conduit to hit a wire.
2) If your house is wired with Romex cable, then the cables are stapled to the 2 x 4's. If the hole is directly to the left or right of the receptacle, doubt that you hit anything. Most Romex cables when initially installed will be routed on the top and/or bottom of electrical boxes and seldom are they routed on the sides of the boxes. If you did hit a wire, you would have either lost power, tripped the circuit breaker, received a shock, tripped a GFCI receptacle or tripped a GFCI breaker. Nothing happened, so all is good.
3) As an FYI...... you can purchase a stud finder at your local Home Depot or Lowes or Ace Hardware. A quality stud finder will detect wood or metal studs in the wall, and the good models can also detect electrical behind the walls.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!