Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  28 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I am looking to wire a woods indoor / outdoor 120v single timer

Customer Question

I am looking to wire a woods indoor / outdoor 120v single timer to my pool pump. I have exposed and cut black (power), white (neutral) and green (wires) but see no indication of which wires attach to which terminals.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello Todd..........my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Can you provide me with the model number of the Woods timer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

59396

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry - it is a 59401

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Thanks Todd..... I was able to locate the installation manual for model 59401. See attached link:

http://www.ccixpress.com/cci/Marketing/Woods_US_Timer_Instructions/59402_InstrMan_TM.pdf

2) Per the instructions, make sure that you have Jumpers J1, J2, J3 & J4 installed on the circuit board before making any wiring connections. This wiring scheme is for a 120 volt Single Pole Single Throw connection. Refer to page 2 of the diagram. Your wiring scheme will be the diagram located at the upper left side of page 2.

3) Looks like the terminal strip has 5 screws. The left most screw is labeled as timer and this is where the hot wire from the branch circuit connects to. The 2nd screw moving to the right is for the white neutral from the branch circuit. The 3rd screw labeled as "NC" does not get used. The 4th screw moving to the right is labeled as "NO" will be for the pool pump hot wire.

The pool pump white neutral wire will also land on the 2nd screw terminal were it is labeled as "timer". You will have (2) two white neutrals landing here, 1 from the house circuit and the other from the pump.

The 5th screw ( far right) labeled as "COM" will not be used

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about the green ground wires, where do they connect?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) The instruction sheet shows that grounding is not required since the timer is manufactured from plastic. There is no grounding connection directly on the timer. If your branch circuit is wired using Romex, I would connect the green pump wire to the bare copper wire using a wire nut.

2) If you have metal conduit and a metal box for the branch circuit, connect the green pump wire to the metal conduit box using a green ground screw in the threaded hole located at the back portion of the box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jumpers J1, J2, J3 and J4 . . . I don't know what these would be? Would they likely be installed prior to my removing the unit from the box?

Pardon my ignorance. It is a new home / pool and the previous timer was simple.

Thank you.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Hi Todd.....The instructions mention that the 4 jumpers are located on a printed circuit board. These 4 are necessary to accommodate 120 volts. This model accepts various voltage levels. If the J1, J2, J3 & J4 jumpers are not set properly, the time will not work. Normally the jumpers are small removable pins that will connect directly to the PC board.

I would assume that there is a removable cover in order to gain access to the jumpers?

2) No problem Todd..........the Woods timer model is not the easiest timer to get working. The wiring & jumper instructions could be better. Let me know how you make out........Thanks.............Kevin!

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
1) Hello Todd.........the instructions state to remove the protective cover panel within the timer switch housing by removing the screws located above the timer face and at the bottom of the cover panel. This should provide you with access to the J1, J2, J3 & J4 jumpers and the printed circuit board............Let me know if that works........Thanks.........Kevin!