Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

Hi....We have an ONCue software package installed for our 14K

Hi....We have an ONCue software package installed for our 14K Kohler home generator. Is it wireless or do we have to hook up to router to get updates?Thanks

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

According to my search of the manual, the generator has an Ethernet board option.

Jason :

It would appear that it requires a cable, hardwired connection.

Jason :

I didn't see anything about wireless.

Jason :

Do you need a link to the manual?

JACUSTOMER-nnstew0q- : Thanks. People that have 2nd homes are supposed to be able to see there gen activity remotely.
Jason :

I noticed that in the manual too. Is there anything else I can do for you?

JACUSTOMER-nnstew0q- :

How x

JACUSTOMER-nnstew0q- :

How can that be if its' not wireless?

JACUSTOMER-nnstew0q- :

It would have to be wireless to accomplish this,no?

JACUSTOMER-nnstew0q- :

So, how do we get to see how the gens doing if we're at the shore, on our ipad or netbook?

Jason :

I believe it connects via an ethernet cable to your router, and you would need to log on to a site that shows the monitoring data. The manual didn't appear to be overly specific about those details. However, I honestly didn't read it in its entirety. I scanned it, looking for the answer to whether or not the machine requires a hardwired connection.

Jason :

If you would like me to do so, I can do more research to find additional details.

Jason :

I do apologize for the misunderstanding. I thought you only wanted to know whether the unit required a physical connection to the router.

JACUSTOMER-nnstew0q- : Thanks. I just wanted to know how we can access it remotely and see what's going on with it. Can you pass on the question if you can't help me?
Jason :

Sure. Perhaps one of the other electricians here is familiar with this unit. Thank you for the opportunity to help. name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Jason's replies were correct. The ONCue software package includes a Network Bridge that connects to the gen set. The Network Bridge is an Ethernet connection to a DSL or Cable Modem. You will need to run a CAT 5E, 4 pair Structured Cable from the Bridge to your router. A router which accepts RJ45 connections is required. This is a hard-wired connection and NOT Wireless.

2) In addition to the CAT 5E cable, you will need to install (1) one RJ45 crimp-on connector at each end. One RJ45 plugs into the RJ45 female connector at the Network Bridge and the other RJ45 connection plugs into your router. Suggest wiring the RJ45's using the T568B wiring standard as this is the most common for Ethernet Networks. You will also require an RJ45 crimping tool. If you don't want to crimp the connectors, you can use a RJ45 punch down jack at each end and then use CAT 5E pre-connected patch cables for your connections. The CAT 5E RJ45 terminations or punch down @ each end must adhere to the proper color code. If you have flipped color pairs on the CAT 5E RJ45 connections, the signal will not work. CAT 5E cable is color coded as blue, orange, green & brown and has 4 pairs for a total of 8 conductors.

Here is a link to Home Depot. This is what the RJ45 connectors look like:

3) You will need to install the ONCue software package on your home PC computer. The home PC, DSL or Cable Modem and the router must remain in the ON position (requires power @ the wall receptacle or power strip) at all times in order to monitor the Gen Set activities. Refer to the block diagram located on page 2 of the installation manual. Once everything is set up at home, you will then be able to connect into your home PC anywhere (via remote access) from the internet. You will be accessing your home network to monitor the gen set activity and not a 3rd party web site.

See the ONCue Installation Manual link as shown below:

4) You will also require a UPS (battery backup power) that will connect to your router and PC. Once you loose commercial electric power at your home, the only way to monitor the ONCue software/Gen Set is thru your PC. A UPS is typically rated in minutes (15 minutes, 30, 60, etc.) and wattage. Total the wattage of your router, modem & PC and size the UPS accordingly in order to support the required wattage of your peripheral equipment. Purchase a UPS that has a higher wattage than you require. If you undersize the UPS in terms of wattage and backup time, you may not be able to remotely access your home PC during a prolonged power outage to monitor the Gen Set. The longer the run time on the UPS, the higher the purchase price. You can purchase a UPS at any Best Buy or computer store.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience: 29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

Thank you for the excellent service rating...........much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening..........Thanks............Kevin!