Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

I disconnected the wiring of a switched ceiling light in the

I disconnected the wiring of a switched ceiling light in the hall near the bathroom of my mobile home. This fixture has 4 pairs of romex coming into it, so 4 black wires and 4 white wires have to be reconnected.
I have a voltmeter and ohm meter and it looks like I have to identify the hot wire and the switch wire and wire those to the light, while bundling the remaining black and white wires together.
Is that basically correct or am I missing something?

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

somewhat. What I do need you to do is take apart the switch and tell me what color wires are actually connected to the switch.

Customer:

Hi Sparky. The switch has 2 black wires going into one side of it. The switch box also contains a switch for an outlet and an indicator light for that outlet (it's to turn on the heat tape under the mobile home in winter to keep the pipes from freezing.

Sparky :

I see. What I wanted to make sure is that the switch did not have a white wire connected to it. Sometimes they get taped up black. can you make sure that is not the case?

Customer:

The only color wire I've ever seen in this house is black and white romex with a ground wire. It looks like they used it for everything, Never seen a color taped wire or any other color. The wires going into the switch are definitely black.

Sparky :

the black wires that are connected to the switch, does one of the black wires go to a wire nut with other black wires inside of the switch box?

Customer:

One black wire goes to the fixture (I assume) the other black wire is connected to the heat tape switch in the same switch box. It's connected with a another black and a white wire on the top screw. The bottom screw holds 2 white wires.

Sparky :

Could you post a picture?

Customer:

Sure. It will take a minute.

Sparky :

No problem. I'll be here. i just don't want to guide you in the wrong direction.

Customer:

Sparky :

ok got it. You said you had all of the wires identified. So, yes connect all of the white wires together including the one from the light fixture. Then connect all of the black wires together except for the one that come from the switch. That one you will be connecting to the light fixture. All the ground wires go together

Customer:

Okay that makes sense. Although I now have the power ON, with the wires at the fixture apart I've Iost power to my outside porch and pole light, so they are connected to these wires also. Once everything is connected as planned, I should get those lights back right?

Sparky :

Exactly

Customer:

Super. Thanks Sparky. You earned your keep. Good ratings for you.

Sparky :

Thank you

Customer:

Although I have a feeling that you might see me again later today...lol. Thanks again..

Sparky :

No problem. I'll be here. as

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Rick thanks a million. Everything's back to normal and I actually learned a few things in the process.

That's great. I am glad to be of help.
Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/